LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Advice on lighting front of house (how many, what kind, where)

Discussion in 'Share Your Landscape Lighting Projects' started by Jeff, May 1, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Looking for a weekend project while at home. There are tons of old wires/fixtures and nightscaping transformer from the previous owner but think I need to start fresh after a remodel.

Any thoughts for a beginner on how to best light the front of my house / stonework?

Thanks in advance for any input - excited to get going. IMG_5875.jpg

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Apologies on the delay - most posts are made in the 'Ask' section of the forums where more people are actively responding.

I would be happy to make some general recommendations. I attached some edited images to help illustrate - two designs differing minorly.

Overall, a combination of spotlights and path lights for illumination on the bottom level of the house and the front walkway. Our most popular spotlights are the Top Dog Spotlight and the Fat Boy Spotlight for a budget-friendly option. Our most popular path light is the Max Spread Path & Area Light

The front window bays would look great illuminated, but if you were concerned about light pollution into the home or glare you could highlight the corners of the home and spaces between windows instead. For the second story, we'd typically recommend a using a gutter mount and a compact fixture such as an MR8- The Spark Spotlight or an MR11 - The All-Star™ Mini Spotlight

Attached Files:

3. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Evan,
    Thank you so much for your help!
    I love the idea of lighting up the bay windows but as you said - I am concerned about the light coming back into the house. I supposed I can try it and see how it goes. If too much light in the house, I can pivot to the other option!

I will look into figuring out how to get the second story lights attached - that would look fantastic. For step 1, I will buy the lights for the ground level and ensure the transformer is sized to get me to step 2 (second floor).

Thank you for taking the time to reply - very helpful & much appreciated.

Jeff-

Evan K likes this.