LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Advice for lighting a wall-mounted American flag

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by RedBrickColonial, May 20, 2020.

Share This Page

1. RedBrickColonial

RedBrickColonial New Member

I need advice on how to light a wall-mounted American flag. I am going to be setting up a Volt 150W transformer soon and want to include a spotlight for the flag on my front porch.

My initial idea was to surface-mount a mini spotlight on the brick wall below the flag, maybe 1 foot off the ground. I would then run the wire exposed along the brick, down into the ground and connected to a pro junction hub. However, the spotlight would be very exposed on the front face of the house and almost pointing at people as they come in the front door, so it seems less than ideal. Also, what would be the best way to secure the low voltage wire to the brick?

Any other ideas for lighting the flag?

Attached Files:

Evan K likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, RBC. I would put a spotlight with a glare guard into a planter below the flag, run the lead wire out of a planter drain hole, and then discreetly tack the wire against the side of the porch with masonry staples (they look like the staples that hold the cable TV wires in your house but they're usually black). There are smaller spotlights than the one linked below but I like this one because its glare guard can be adjusted to control the light beam spread a bit better than the smaller ones and you can easily add a filter or frosted lens to further address glare. Hope this helps.

https://www.voltlighting.com/landscape-lighting-spotlight-all-star-brass/p/VAL-2000-BBZ

Evan K likes this.
  3. RedBrickColonial

Thanks for the great idea! I did some research on window boxes and many seem to be about 8 inches deep, meaning the soil would likely be slightly less than 8 inches deep. How should I mount the mini spotlight in the box? I am thinking to cut off a couple inches of the 10-inch plastic ground stakes - think that would work?

Mesodude2 likes this.
  4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, RBC. I don't see why that wouldn't work. But a couple of other and possibly better options are surface mounting the fixture low on the porch wall or stake mounting the fixtures in the ground below and/or to the side of the porch. surface mount.jpg lights ground level.jpg

5. RedBrickColonial

Thanks for the advice. I ended up installing a light in the flower bed pointing up to the flag and think it works pretty well. I may end up installing a narrow beam angle (15 deg) bulb in the spotlight because there is some spill onto the handrail and wall.

I attached a photo of my lighting setup so far. Any comments on general look? Any ideas for additional lighting? So far I have about 8 in the attached picture:

• (1) Flag uplight
    • (3) path lights in garden beds
    • (1) Chimney uplight to showcase brick
    • (1) Uplight under right window
    • (1) In-ground well light under large honey locust tree
    • (1) Spotlight on magnolia tree

Attached Files:

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.