LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Advice for a newbie on wiring?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mographer, Jan 6, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Mographer

Mographer New Member

I am redoing my back yard and want to run wire for landscape lights. Here's a link to a diagram I drew up of my plan.

1. Is it ok to split the wiring as I have it in the diagram? Or should the main wire from the transformer split at one point and have one wire go to each individual light?

2. Considering the length of the runs of wire, what gauge should I use?
    Any other general advice for running this wiring?[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. TwilightHilights

TwilightHilights New Member

You'd be fine with 14 gauge wire for your runs given that you're using LEDs, but if you have the chance to add on in the future at additional length, i'd recommend going 12 gauge so you're covered and don't have to rip anything up.

Your diagram is perfectly fine, but if you have any issues it's going to be hard to determine with the short is at since everything is on one main line. I'd make it two or three runs that are all in the same trench, but with the fixtures separated into groups. That way if something goes out, you can pinpoint it. If this isn't your first rodeo and you're sure about your connections, then by all means run what your diagram shows and you should be fine.