LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Adding More Lights, Long(ish) Run

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by rmverb, Sep 26, 2018.

Share This Page

1. rmverb

rmverb New Member

Hi all,

I had some Volt lighting installed by a landscaper and I am going to add a couple more lights to the system. This will be a two part question as I have two different things I want to accomplish. Currently, I have a 150W 12v/15v transformer mounted to the wall in my garage. There are two main lines coming out of the transformer that each run into a Volt hub.

First: I am adding two beds at the front of my driveway and I would like at least one light in each bed. As of now I am planning on one in each bed, but I may add a third light, which would put two lights in one bed. I would like to add a main wire to the transformer and run it out to one of the beds and then through a conduit under my driveway to the bed on the other side. The run from where the transformer is to the first bed is roughly 75 feet. The run from the first bed to the bed on the other side of the driveway is roughly 25 feet. These will be the only two lights on this wire. One will be a Volt Max Spread Path/Area light and the other will be a Volt in ground well light. Will my current 150W transformer support a run of this length? What gauge wire should I use for this? Since it is just two (maybe 3) lights, should I use a hub or one of the Volt micro junction connectors? I have included a photo to illustrate what I am trying to accomplish.

Link to photo: https://ibb.co/gWHA2U

Second: As I mentioned, I currently have two hubs, both of which have no more room to add lights. I would like to add one more path light. Can I just split one of the wires coming out of the hub and use that to power the existing light and the light I am trying to add? I'd hate to add a whole new hub for just one light.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello,

From what you have described, your transformer should have no issue in powering that many lights. For runs up to 75', we would recommend using 14-gauge cable. The most commonly used cabled is 12-gauge; which is rated for uses up to 150'. Given the layout, a junction hub is not specifically necessary; micro junctions would provide you with a lifelong connection and they could be buried and hidden easily.

We would advise against making direct splice connections into the lead wires of fixtures as this may result in voltage loss to one of the fixtures involved. Direct splice connections should be made into the main power wire from the transformer or, the fixture should be powered directly from the transformer.