LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Help With House Lighting

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by RSB, Mar 31, 2019.

Share This Page

1. RSB

RSB New Member

Evan--
    I am looking to purchase some volt lighting to light the front of my home and around my pool. I am not sure where to start w/ design. Any design thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! IMG_0179.jpeg

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey RSB,

Excellent! I would be happy to provide some general recommendations based off of the picture you provided. For illuminating the majority of your home, I would recommend using spotlights. To get light to any second story areas, you can use gutter mounts to mount spotlights. For the forward most window, you could take advantage of the overhang and mount a puck light or a 12-18" hardscape light to the soffit. If you were against downlighting, you could also use a spotlight on either side of this window as well. Although we can't see the entire home in the image, to continue the design you would use spotlights in similar places like my recommendations; highlighting open spaces or architectural features. For lighting around the pool, I would recommend path & area lights. Decorative bollard lights are also a good addition to area lighting and the patterns projected look beautiful on any patio floor.

Attached Files:

3. RSB

RSB New Member

thanks, Evan! I didn't know gutter mounts were available. Time to start ordering!

Evan K likes this.
  4. RSB

RSB New Member

Hi Evan--I bought 3 path lights and 6 spotlights. I took a look at your recommendations and want to know what you think about the left hand side of the house from the picture. The first photos didn't show well. Do you think one spot between the windows will be ok? Thanks!

Evan K likes this.
  5. RSB

RSB New Member

thanks!

Attached Files:

Mesodude likes this.
  6. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Between the windows under the flag in the photo? I think a spotlight would look great in that spot. A narrower beam spread would probably be best (12-35° depending on the fixture).

Mesodude likes this.