LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Placement of washer for path light shade

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Hydrographer1, Oct 1, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Hydrographer1

Hydrographer1 New Member

washer on shade.jpg Does it matter where the felt washer is placed on a path light? I've been placing it before the shade rather than next to the finial, but not certain if I'm compromising a leak tight connection.

2. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Good question, Hydrographer1. Surprising that it’s not made clear in any of the instruction videos or documents. Based on its shape and the design of all the path light hats, my guess is the washer should be left on top of the bulb shield and the hat placed atop that. It seems to me that flat dimpled area around the hole in the hat would create a much better seal than placing the washer on top of the hat and under the finial (where it would be directly exposed to sun and moisture). Evan will correct me if I’m wrong, however.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Evan K likes this.
  3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

You are both correct! The photo shows the correct way of using the gasket.

Mesodude likes this.
  4. MJZ

MJZ New Member

I am questioning the placement of the gasket beneath the shade as shown in the picture and here is my logic. With the placement of the gasket beneath the shade, I contend that with rain and wind, moisture could penetrate between the shade and the finial and make its way down the threads. With the gasket directly under the finial (between the finial and the shade), moisture is sealed out from the top and the shade offers additional protection. Please let me know why the washer below the shade would be correct. Thanks.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I think the question is, is it meant to be a washer or a gasket or both? My theory is that it’s meant to be both moisture intrusion protection and a protective barrier between the metal top of the stem and the reflective white paint of the fixture canopy. There is at least one model where the proper placement of that piece is unambiguous, though. https://www.voltlighting.com/12v-path-area-light-brass-sedona/p/BDL-306-BBZ 164282D3-247F-4A0B-9BC5-1A07EABB4082.jpeg

6. MJZ

MJZ New Member

Thanks Mesodude2. Would it be correct that the fixture would be waterproof with the washer/gasket installed either way? Would it be a good idea to install rubber washers or o-rings on the area without to supplement the fixture? Thanks.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  7. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Great questions and I think customer service would probably be the best folks to contact. IMHO, it doesn't look like the piece would create a remarkably durable or strong seal regardless of where it's placed. I suspect that unless stated otherwise, these fixtures are designed to be water resistant rather than waterproof. They can probably handle heavy rain just fine but I wouldn't make a habit of blasting them with a water hose and I definitely don't think they're designed to be submerged. Since you don't want to do anything to void your warranty, I'd ask a customer service rep if they recommend any more robust gaskets to prevent moisture intrusion. For all we know, there may be reasons that an absolutely airtight seal in either of those two places on the fixture would be problematic.

8. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

The gaskets on the path lights are mainly for ensuring that the path light hats sit evenly straight on the stem. While they do provide some protection against scratching the top harp assembly when attaching the hat, they aren't intended for moisture protection. All of our LED bulbs themselves are built and tested for outdoor use specifically - including the G4 bipins in the path lights

Mesodude2 likes this.