LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer on Switched Outlet

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by JamesC, Jul 24, 2024.

Share This Page

1. JamesC

JamesC New Member

Hello,
    Does anyone happen to know if I place my transformer (LOWTR-100W-SS) on a switched outlet, and leave the transformer set to “on”, will it save this setting when power is cut to the transformer via the switch in my house? Essentially I’d like to turn the outdoor lighting on/off via a switch.
    Thanks

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Good question. As you know, after you turn off the power via the switch on your transformer, it is supposed to retain whatever timer mode (ON, OFF, Dusk-Dawn) you've selected. What's not clear is what happens to that memory when the power to your outlet is killed entirely (whether by switch, circuit breaker, or power failure). I think the best way to confirm what is or isn't possible would be to either unplug the transformer or experiment with a GFCI outlet controlled by a switch. Alternatively, you could use a smart plug which would allow you to control your lights via the device manufacturer's app (I use the Lutron Caseta outdoor plug) your smart home app/voice control.