LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer switch tripping

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Philip, Apr 23, 2024.

Share This Page

1. Philip

Philip New Member

I have a 150W clamp connect transformer that keeps tripping. I have 7 fixtures spread across 3 of the 12W taps and another 5 fixtures connected to 1 15W tap.
    Everything works fine until I try to connect the line with the five fixtures into the 15 W tab and the fixture trips. Do I have too many fixtures on this transformer? Should I split some of the five fixtures off of the one line? Thoughts?

2. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Philip: I don’t necessarily want to become a substitute Volt customer service rep, but I can offer some advice based on my own experiences. If you haven’t already found the source of your transformer trips, the place to start is removal of all of the bulbs from the lights on the mainline in question. If the transformer still trips, the mainline is going to ground, most likely due to a cut in the line or a defective connector, and you are left with the tedious process of digging up the line and inspecting each connection. If the transformer doesn’t trip with the bulbs removed, then one or more of them is defective and it is a simple process of replacing them one at a time to identify the culprit. You can’t necessarily tell by looking at a bulb if it has gone bad. Hope this helps. Bob