LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Some lights have dimmed

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Augeydoggy, Nov 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Augeydoggy

Augeydoggy New Member

In 2014 I set up an all-VOLT five piece sidewalk low voltage system with 3W LED BiPin bulbs and a 75 Watt (12v-15v) Multi-Tap Low Voltage Transformer. All has been fine (except the odd bulb burn out here and there), until now - the last three lights in the group have suddenly became dim, maybe less than 50%. The first two are fine, and other than the dimming all works great (including the photocell). I don't know where to start looking for the problem.

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello Augey,

I would first recommend testing a bulb from one of the fixtures earlier on the run in one of the fixtures where you notice the dimming. If the output from the fixture still appears to be dim after switching the bulbs around, I would recommend then checking the voltage levels that the fixtures are receiving from the transformer using a voltmeter on the AC (alternating current) setting. You would test this at the individual fixtures with the power on; testing the first dim one should indicate to you what the other two are receiving power wise. The input voltage range for one of our 3W G4 LED BiPin bulbs is 9-15VAC; if the numbers you receive on your voltmeter are below this range, this could be the source of the output and mean that the dimming is related to the supply of power. From there, you would want to test the power taps on your transformer with the voltmeter to ensure they are outputting the designated voltage. If your voltage levels are in the proper ranges as indicated by the labels on the taps, and switching the bulbs does produce a noticeably different output, then the bulbs that were originally in the 'dim' fixtures may need to be inspected. Under the lifetime warranty for our LED bulbs, we will happily do this in-house!