LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting Design Assistance

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by HOA, May 23, 2022.

Share This Page

1. HOA

HOA New Member

I am looking for help to see if I am on the right track for my lighting design.

I have attached my current design. The blue circles are All Star spot lights and the red dots are path lights.

I am worried the garage lantern lights will wash out the spot lights on the corners. Additionally, I would like some ideas on continuing the lights down the side of the house. Pics attached.

thanks for any assistance

Attached Files:

• design1a.jpg
      design1a.jpg
      File size:
      230.1 KB
      Views:
    • a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
    • d .jpg
      d .jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
    • b .jpg
      b .jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Beautiful home!

Overall, I'd say you're on an excellent track with your plan.

Typically, I wouldn't recommend installing uplights directly beneath a lantern: due to the concern you mentioned and also that the uplight could cast an unsightly shadow of the lantern up the exterior wall.

One tip I'd give would be to determine what the color temperature of your pre-existing lanterns are and try to match this color temperature with the landscape lights. The lanterns appear to be a warmer white - likely 2700K - 3000K.

For the side yard, you could consider adding (2) LED flood lights to highlight the cluster of trees. The Gentle Splash Cast Brass Flood Light & Wall Wash with 3W led bulbs could look beautiful. You could also extend the pathway lighting you have planned for the front to continue along the side garden bed and potentially down to the back staircase(s) shown.