LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Troubleshoot lights not going on

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Roman, Jun 4, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Roman

Roman New Member

Hello,

I installed my lights about 9 months ago but never dug the wires underground because I was thinking I might still make changes. It worked the whole winter through snow but recently it stopped working. I'm thinking maybe some kid or animal pulled one wire out. I checked for any cut or bitten wires but didn't see any.

I tried connecting one light directly to transformer and it works just fine. How can I figure out which light can be causing this issue. I have it daisy chain.

Thanks so much.

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Roman,

Just to confirm what is occurring - is the transformer tripping/shutting off when you attempt to turn it on with all runs still wired?

Regardless, the typical process of elimination would be most ideal;

1. We know the outlet and transformer are operational given that you tested one fixture directly.
    2. Next, you'll want to determine which wire run/zone is the likely source of the issue - do this by removing each individual run, and turning the transformer on after removing each run. When the transformers remains on after removing a particular run, you have an idea of which segment of fixtures and cable to investigate.
    3.With the run isolated, you'd then investigate the wire and double check any wire connections along this run. If there are no easily visible signs of cable or fixture damage, you'd want to repeat the approach you took to locate the run. Re-insert the wire run inside of the transformer, then remove each individual fixture on that run while turning the transformer on until you've isolated the likely culprit. From there, it'd be investigating if the bulb or the fixture is the issue - if the fixture uses a bulb, swap a working bulb from another fixture. If the problem persists, the fixture may need to inspected. Under our warranty policy, we'd be happy to get the fixture back in house for inspection and potential replacement if needed.

3. Roman

Roman New Member

@Evan K thank you!

So since I only have one run I'm at step 3 of your troubleshooting. In order to remove each fixture at a time do I need to then remove the wire nuts one light at a time and close the loop then see if it works? In this scenario would I need to then buy new gel filled wire nuts for the ones I remove.

4. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Roman: Buy some Volt Pro Nano-Junction connectors instead. The gel filled wire nuts are probably the source of your problem. The Pro Nano-Junctions are far superior for moisture free connections. Bob

5. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Ideally yes, replacing the wire nut connectors with fresh/new ones, or as Bob mentioned, using this time to upgrade the connectors - it would be up to your personal preference.

In addition to the direct burial junctions that Bob mentioned, we also offer a utility-patented above ground junction hub as well - the VOLT® Pro Junction Hub. If possible with the run, you can place this hub at a convenient centralized location and make simple wire connections with the gas tight clamps inside. This hub makes troubleshooting and possible expansion much easier as well. Just a thought.

6. Roman

Roman New Member

Thanks guys!

So the connectors I have to be exact are the below which from what I read I thought these are supposed to be good:

DryConn GTSR Wire Connector

Are the Volt nano ones better?

7. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Roman, I have used 4 or 5 different connectors, including the dielectric gel filled caps. All of the others have since been replaced with the Volt Nano connectors. Yes, they are a few bucks more than the others, but the Volt Nanos are worth it, in my opinion. Bob

8. Roman

Roman New Member

If one of my light bulbs dies would the entire chain stop working or is it only that one fixture? Just trying to rule out all of my options.