LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Photocell Issue!

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Bob Emmons, May 1, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Bob Emmons

Bob Emmons New Member

I hooked up photocell into transformer in a new install, and found that the lights are not coming on at dusk. Called a rep and he said to shine strong light and then cover up the photocell with black cap in sequence to "condition" in a the photocell with the transformer and manual timer. This worked one night, and the the next night nothing. I did this two times; working fine the first night after "conditioniong" and then going back to nothing after that. Any ideas or is this photocell defective?

2. Dirk Yamamoto

Dirk Yamamoto New Member

Bob, I don't know if you've successfully resolved your problem or not... If still struggling, I recommend considering a digital astronomic timer. I use an Intermatic DT200LT, which fits nicely inside the 300w transformer.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

It sounds like the photocell may be defective.

To test the Photocell device (In daylight):

1. Test in the ON position first.

2. If the timer works in this setting then, set it to dusk to dawn setting; it should turn off after doing this.

3. You should then cover the photocell in complete darkness for anywhere from 5-6 minutes (using a towel or something that encompasses the entire device is recommended.) After this time, it should power on.

(With a Slim Line style transformer which has the timer device built it, you would need to cover the entire face of the unit to properly test the cycling functionality.)

If the sensor is ultimately the issue, we will be happy to help get it replaced for you - just give us a call if you haven't already re-contact us about this issue! 813-978-3700