LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need design ideas

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Brad Gerrard, Apr 14, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Brad Gerrard

Brad Gerrard New Member

I have an existing Malibu system and going to upgrade to all Volt lights and transformers. I also need advise on my backyard and lighting around the pool and yard. I need advise on lights behind the pool wall and uplifting for the pine trees. Any and all advise on my backyard would be greatly appreciated.
    I would also like your opinion on up lighting the fence on the side of the pool verses shining them directly at the bushes / plants. I will not be offended and would love the professional advise.

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Brad,

Beautiful backyard area! If swapping to VOLT fixtures, for this type of application I'd recommend considering flood lights - these types of fixtures will help illuminate wide areas with a single fixture which means less fixtures would be needed to illuminate those foliage dense areas.

The Cast Brass Round Wall Wash or the Gentle Splash Cast Brass Flood Light & Wall Wash could both look beautiful. For the pine trees, you could likely place a floodlight in between every set of (2) - placing a fixture at every single pine tree would likely be a bit overkill illumination wise and certainly not cost effective.

As far as the fence and smaller plants, the current design does look beautiful; moving the illumination to be directly on the small shrubs/plants could also look beautiful. It is largely preferential to which design you yourself prefer. One thing to note - the overall ambient lighting in the area may seem lower/dimmer if moving the fixtures to shine directly on the plants; the direct "reflections" off the light colored fence currently does appear to illuminate the surrounding area(s) quite substantially.

Mesodude2 likes this.