LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Garage Door area lighting options please?

Discussion in 'Share Your Landscape Lighting Projects' started by skyward homes, Mar 24, 2022.

Share This Page

1. skyward homes

skyward homes New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I think I have a decent plan for lighting up the house with 2 lights on the main surface level and 3 lights mounted above garage (gutter) to highlight pertinent upper half of the house.

I can use suggestions for 2 questions:
    1. Red arrows are open questions. I think I need to throw light at garage door area, or else, it will feel very dark. I wonder if I should mount wider hardscape light at the base of the gutter pointing it down or should I just not install anything? I do have outdoor scones light (2 around big garage and 1 light around small garage). I do not want to well light, as it will involve a lot of concrete drilling!
    2. For 3 yellow lights, to be mounted on gutter, what beam width should I go for? Narrow/15 or normal (38)?
    Front Yard 1.JPG

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Beautiful home!

1. This comes down to personal preference mostly. Do you leave the exterior garage lights on for most of the night? The illumination provided by the lanterns may make adding additional landscape lights a bit of overkill if you do, but if these lanterns are off most of the night and you preferred subtle accent lighting that would be a different story. Either way, fixture wise, compact linear hardscape lights like you mentioned could be used or you could consider compact LED puck lights as well. Either style of light can be easily surface-mounted.

2. For the gutter mounted spotlights on the right side, 38 degree or 60 degree could both look beautiful - I'd likely go with 60s. For the gutter mounted spotlight to the left, given you're trying to illuminate the architecture from a slight distance, keeping the beam spread narrow at the point the light is produced would help keep the illumination more focused on your target (I'd likely go with 38-degree for this spotlight).