LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Flickering LED bulb

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by JCT, Feb 22, 2018.

Share This Page

1. JCT

JCT New Member

One bulb in a path lighting fixture is quickly flickering, but none in the other fixtures. Does that indicate a defective bulb? I so, it clearly did not have the expected life span.

2. Lumiscape

Lumiscape New Member

Hey I've had a couple of fails. Volt isn't perfect, but their return service makes up for it.
    Dave

3. Frank G.

Frank G. New Member

Agreed.. some are certainly gonna fail, just like any other product, but Volt exchanges them every time. LED's in my experience tend to fail more then halogens but I can see why. LED's have way more components and technology that can potentially fail while halogens just use a simple filament that heats up, not too much to go wrong there, plus halogens aren't really affected by heat build-up the way most LED's are. For example if you buy 100 led bulbs 5-10 will probably fail early but out of 100 halogens maybe only 2-3 will fail early, that's my experience anyways.

4. HemiKing

HemiKing New Member

I also just finished installing 3 of my 5 runs and have had a couple of LED issues. The first issue was noticed immediately, one light began flickering after a minute or so. I switched that LED with another LED on a separate run, and the flickering LED continued to malfunction in its new location, while the replacement LED worked properly. I decided must be a bad LED.

The second issue happened tonight in a fixture that has worked for two nights, the bulb began to flicker, it is late and I do not feel like chasing LEDs tonight. So I will switch it out with a different LED tomorrow, and get a voltage reading at the source.

I read Frank G.'s response and his summation that there is a 5%-10% failure rate in LED! boy that number seems very high for such a high tech item.

I hope I did not make a mistake going all LED.

Has anyone else experienced similar failures? (2 LEDs in two days)

5. t76turbo

t76turbo New Member

I have had MULTIPLE led's fail. But luckily VOLT has great customer service.