LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Additional Front Facade Lighting

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mongojerry, Dec 23, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Have photos of Volt installs from two years ago (full front and specifically walkway and bathroom exterior architectural feature. Very happy. Unfortunately, can't reduce size to meet your server limitations. Suggestions? Neighbor (identical house) has added 1) front column up lighting and also up lighting left and right of bathroom glass wall (also have photos but can't seem to resize to your 1 mb limitation). Recommendations on the column from walk lighting and also the up lighting around bathroom glass wall feature. Current up light is on a bougainvillia tree recently clipped and will grow out some as it regains shape. Appreciate all your help!

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Mongojerry,

Regarding posting a picture - I myself will typically open a picture, then take a screenshot with the Snipping Tool. You can also resize it using the paint program, and/or upload the image to a free online image compressor to shrink the size of the file.

Posting a pic will def help us make better suggestions!

3. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Thanks Evan; wilco this evening.

4. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Overall front lighting current. Also, close up of our columns & front (current) and neighbor approach to column lighting. Thoughts Evan? Neighbor Columns.jpg Front Current Lighting.jpg Walk + Columns Current.jpg Walk + Columns Current.jpg

5. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Architectural exterior wall (current) and neighbor current lighting. The current tree (uplight) will remain lit and trimmed (more symm Current Front Bath Wall Exterior.jpg Neighbor Bath Wall Exterior.jpg Neighbor Bath Wall Exterior.jpg etrical) at about same size (height and width).Thoughts Evan?

6. Evan K

Great work!

Some small recommendations I'd make:
    upload_2022-1-4_11-30-2.png
    ^You could consider adding some extension risers to the path lights along the walkway, and add them to the spotlights at the bases of the trees as well. For the path lights, this would help elevate the light housings higher above the plants and extend the illumination further into the garden beds & path way. For the spotlights, doing this would help to focus more illumination on the trees rather than the plants surrounding the trunk. The risers would also help to elevate the spotlights above these plants so you could move the spotlights further in/closer to the trunks to also help focus the illumination more and better conceal the light sources. Size wise, I'd go no larger than a 12" riser for the path lights (6" likely ideal), and no smaller than 12" for the spotlights. We also have telescoping (adjustable) risers.

upload_2022-1-4_11-56-39.png
    ^The middle portion is a tad bit dark compared to the surrounding area, although it is always ideal to keep glare off of windows and prevent light intrusion into the home (especially for a bedroom window) You could play around with the adjustability and brightness of the fixtures already on the palm tree to enhance the shadowing effect behind the palm tree, or even consider adding another fixture. Something to consider while also keeping the glare/intrusion to a minimum.

upload_2022-1-4_12-5-37.png
    ^Tough to get an accurate feel for this area with the camera flash. Maybe consider adding a smaller floodlight to the left of the tree within the shrubs - this could help extend the shadowing effect approach you've been taking to the corner where the gutter is as well. Like Cast Brass Round Wall Wash or Gentle Splash Cast Brass Flood Light & Wall Wash with a 3W bulb at minimum.

7. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Evan... thanks for your ideas! Adding the Gentle Splash for the 2 columns (with risers) and the Wall Wash for the exterior bathroom walls (again with risers). The walkway shrubs are to be trimmed this/next week and will figure out appropriate riser size and order. Will excavate the palm up light wiring and order those risers after i do the wall/column installs. Will send pictures... again, many thanx!

8. Evan K

I'd probably recommend holding off on placing another order until after the trimming - cleaning up the plants and garden beds will likely help enhance the illumination in some spots and could affect what products/accessories you could add. Just a thought for potentially saving time & money.

9. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Thanks Evan; connecting three lights (and a continuing power line to the following lights....large watertight twists or some type of hub connector? Would ideally like to have the three light leads feed into a connector which carries juice to the lights and beyond in series... Thoughts and suggestions?

10. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

My experience with the waterproof twist connectors is that they will eventually leak water inward, resulting in black oxide formation inside the buried wire and subsequent voltage drop. The Volt junction direct burial connectors are far superior to the twist on type for a secure waterproof connection. But, if this were my system, I would go with the Volt pro junction hub. This will keep the connections above ground and make for much easier troubleshooting in the event of future bulb or fixture failure. Bob Mason

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  11. Mongojerry

Mongojerry New Member

Evan; just ordered 3 pro junction boxes. One for present project and will also replace one twisted connector currently in use. One for the (future) North side of the house after landscaping after dry season. Really appreciate your help!

Evan K likes this.