LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need help with low voltage tree wiring.

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by John Weatherford, Feb 1, 2018.

Share This Page

1. John Weatherford

John Weatherford New Member

What sort of tree mounted hub would you recommend for 4 low voltage LED pendant lights hanging from the branches of a single tree (about 16 ft. up)?
    Also, the pendants come with 18 gauge copper wiring. Can I connect this wire directly to the above hub if the 18 gauge wire runs are short (less than 10 ft.)?
    Thanks!

2. Lumiscape

Lumiscape New Member

I use a coated, flat, round 4", sealable, outside connection box (Home Depot, Lowe's), and plug the holes with duct seal (electrician's putty) to keep the bugs out. Since squirrels are a real problem here - they will destroy wires - I use 3/8" metal conduit where I can, for the wires. It is available in black. If you look around on the internet, there are a number of articles that say that stranded low voltage 18ga wire is OK for 10 amps up to 50'. That's 120 watts at 12v. There's no way I would put that much current through !8ga wire, but a couple of amps, say 2a x 12v = 24watts, gives a lot of headroom, and as long as you're using LED bulbs, that could be as many as 5 4w bulbs. (Sorry about the weird looking math, but always allow an extra 15% when you add up the wattage - another conversation for another six pack.) I'm no expert, but I look into this frequently, check with my best bud, who is an electrical engineer, and err on the side of caution.

John Weatherford likes this.
  3. John Weatherford

John Weatherford New Member

Thanks Lumiscape! That is a lot of helpful information. Do you screw the flat 4" box to the tree trunk?
    Thanks again.

4. Lumiscape

Lumiscape New Member

Long delay answering, sorry, but yes, I use a screw that will penetrate through the bark and grab some trunk. If you don't put a standoff spacer, it will eventually get lost in the bark, but that will take a long time.