LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer popping GFCI

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Dan, Oct 23, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Dan

Dan New Member

I have one run on my transformer. About 60' long. I have (6) 10w Halogens and (2) 2w LEDs. So 64 watts. I have it hooked up to the 15v circuit. It worked for a bit (20 mins.), now when I flip the switch the GFI pops immediately.

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Hi Dan,

If you're talking about the GFI at the wall receptacle, that switch should only trip when there's short between the hot wire and the ground wire in the GFCI receptacle or a device plugged into it. This could happen if one of your fixture wires has been nicked so it is exposed to the soil. Or, if one of your home run wires has some strands that are contacting wires in other taps or contacting the transformer cabinet. The problem can become worse if the ground is wet.

Also, unfortunately, GFCI receptacles are notoriously unreliable. Even something as simple as a damp plug can cause a GFCI to trip - that's why you should always use an in-use weather-resistant cover. If you think there's a problem with the 120V GFCI receptacle, please contact an electrician.

3. Dan

Dan New Member

So I isolated the problem. It was a Wemo wifi plug. I had that in there in lieu of a timer. I took out the Wemo and it works fine. I am going to try a different brand of wi-fi switch to see if that works. Will report back this weekend.