LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Path light height?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by gtj105, Mar 27, 2021.

Share This Page

1. gtj105

gtj105 New Member

I was wondering if I bought one of the telescoping extenders for the path lights could I replace the existing stem? The 24” seems to high for my application and I (wife) would like it lower. Any other way other than just digging deeper? Just finished my first area today.

Attached Files:

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Looking great, gtj105. Depending on how much height you want to lose, you have a few options. If it’s just an inch or so too high, you could dig the post a bit deeper. But before you do that, check to see if there’s any potential warranty issues involving that base flange. Just me being overly cautious but better safe than sorry. If you’re not wedded to that design, switching the hat to one with a steeper pitch could work. Using those lights elsewhere, swapping in the mini version and using an appropriately sized riser (a telescoping one, if it’s in your budget) would definitely work.

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Lovely home!

Meso hit the nail on the head.

You can in theory bury the stem a few extra inches into the soil but, we typically wouldn't recommend it in general. A path light that was buried substantially lower than the topsoil would likely be prone to water intrusion which could indeed void the warranty with it essentially being submerged.

None of our risers can take the place of the stem as the risers are merely adapters between the bottom threads of the stem and your mount - they do not have sockets or lead wires like the stems.

It looks like you may be in an area that experiences snowfall? Which, if so, the current heights look prime to account for keeping the illumination above the snow.

If you were set on lowering height, switching to mini stems and relocating those current lights would likely be your safest bet as meso mentioned. To meso's point, you could still add risers to the mini versions to adjust as needed as well. So, those could also provide illumination above the snow if you switched.