LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Well Light Suggestion

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Kyle Henson, Feb 7, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Kyle Henson

Kyle Henson New Member

Looking for suggestions for the proper well light to use to light the evergreens on the left side of this photo and the crepe myrtles on the right. The lights will need to be flush with the lawn and allow for a lawn mower to run over it without damaging the fixture. What would you all suggest for the type of fixture? Also, any recommendations on beam angle, wattage, and color temp would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Kyle,

I'd be happy to help with some recommendations.

Considering these trees could likely grow to be medium size trees overtime, I'd likely recommend an MR16 fixture and starting with a lower MR16 wattage and narrower beam spread, which you can increase overtime as the trees grow. Either a 2W or 3W LED MR16 with the narrowest spread offered (15° or 38°)

Our Salty Dog MR16 Well Light is highly durable being fully-submersible (IP 68 rated), offers flexible MR16 bulb options with an adjustable bulb housing. Although the faceplate is a durable solid brass and the PVC housing is quite robust itself, as with most of our in-ground lights, we don't specifically recommend them for drive-over capabilities for any sort of vehicles. This type of wear and tear overtime can lead to unpredictable results

Mesodude2 likes this.
  3. Kyle Henson

Kyle Henson New Member

Hi Evan,

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Very much appreciated!

Would the PAR36 in ground well light be an option for my application?

4. Evan K

Although everything ultimately comes down to preference, I would not personally recommend using a PAR36 fixture for these trees.

Perhaps if you expect one of them to grow significantly larger but, other than that, PAR36 fixtures are typically more common for larger and/or wider applications - like massive oak trees, or how PAR36 lights are commonly used for widespread powerful flood lighting on homes.

You could in theory use them but, you really will want more precise control over the light output to focus illumination on the trees while not over saturating them with the light.

5. Kyle Henson

Kyle Henson New Member

Thank you Evan. I appreciate your feedback on this. I will plan to go with the Salty Dog fixture. I really appreciate your help!

Evan K likes this.
  6. Evan K

Absolutely - happy to help!

7. zaid ahmad

zaid ahmad New Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Very much helpful. the led lights will need to be flush with the lawn and allow for a lawn mower to run over it without damaging the fixture.

Evan K likes this.