LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Costco Kit

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Sherwood Hughes, Feb 5, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Sherwood Hughes

Sherwood Hughes New Member

I’m wondering if anybody can answer a question about the VOL-CKIT1. I purchased two of these. I don’t want to use all of the lights but would like to use 4 hubs instead of 3 but it looks like maybe the transformer will only accommodate 3 hubs. Is that correct? Also, can somebody tell me how many lights can go on this hub? The hub is CTR-150-SS but I can’t seem to find that here on Voltlighting.com.

Thank you for any info folks can provide.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Sherwood. I think you may be confusing hubs with transformers. Each kit should have a stainless steel transformer and two hubs that look like what you see in the photos I've attached. Think of your transformer as your power outlet and your hubs are like power strips. You can connect your fixtures directly to your transformer or you can connect fixtures at the hubs (which will accept up to 7 connections plus the cable or home run wire leading back to your transformer). Between your transformer and your hubs, you can easily power at least 16 lights.

Attached Files:

Evan K likes this.
  3. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Sherwood: It appears to me that the cylindrical hubs in the Costco kit (link below) use the same clamp connector blocks found in the newer rectangular hubs that Volt now sells. They have 8 connection ports, one for the incoming mainline and 7 more for lights. The standard recommendation from Volt is not to exceed 8-10 lights per hub, should you choose to daisy chain some lights to one or more of the 7 connector ports.

As far as how many mainlines you can run from the transformer, I’m as confused as you are. The Costco photograph of the transformer shows 3 common connector ports, while separate online instruction diagrams show 4 and 5. Guess you’ll have to just open the box when you get it and see for yourself. In any event, I would suggest drawing up a blank plot plan, with distance measurements, make several copies and then start laying out different wiring options. I went through a half dozen different schemes when I did my project last year. Don’t be afraid to experiment. You can always add and subtract and move things around, just leave plenty of slack in the wiring in the beginning. Have fun, Bob.

https://www.voltlighting.com/news/release-volt-lighting-introduces-improved-pro-junction-hub

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Bob. I didn't see a link to a Costco product and I'm not sure which kit you're referring to. Based on what Sherwood wrote, my assumption is he has the kit with the 150W transformer (similar to the one in the image I posted). The similar 100W version on VOLT's site is configured the way you described above (with only three comms and three 15 volt taps). Depending on the wire gauges involved and the transformer model, it's almost always possible to fit more than one wire per tap. That's why a lot of the bulkier models are designed with longer runs (and thicker wires in mind. That's also why it's impossible to state exactly how many runs are possible per transformer. Regardless, even the 100W model should be able to accommodate at least six runs. I don't know for sure but my guess is that VOLT redesigned the Pro Junction Hub to make it more compact. You'll note that they still offer the pod shaped hub linked below because bulky wire nut connectors take up a lot more room than is needed to connect wires to that rectangular module with its neat little rows of taps. https://www.voltlighting.com/shop/transformers-accessories/zone-control-junction-box

Robert Mason likes this.
  5. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Hi Meso: That’s an interesting thought. It never occurred to me to run 6 main lines off of 3 12V and 3 15V ports from only 3 commons, but I see where that would work. The point I was really trying to make is that one can’t completely trust the Volt photos and downloadable instruction drawings, or Costco’s for that matter. I used a 100W Slimline in my install. As you noted, the photo of the 100W on the Volt website shows 3 common and 3 15V taps. There are actually 4. Evan is aware of the discrepancy but the photo has yet to be updated. Thus, Sherwood’s best option is to see what Costco actually sends him and then plan his install accordingly. Bob

Mesodude2 likes this.
  6. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Sorry for the confusion everyone - we are still waiting on COSTCO to update a few of our product pages on their website... The installation snippets and some details in the video are misleading on the starter kit page.

The transformer that comes with the COSTCO starter kit is a 150W model but, it is NOT the 150W model that we specifically sell through VOLT. The COSTCO version has (3) COM and (3) 15V taps.

As Meso & Bob mentioned above, each hub can accommodate 7 extra fixtures with the main wire from transformer inserted as well. In theory, depending on the gauge of wires of course, you could fit (2) runs into a single tap within the transformer. But, this could lead to voltage loss and really, 4 hubs likely shouldn't be needed for a starter kit.

What layout did you have in mind or what obstacles were you running in to?

Mesodude2 likes this.