LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer/wiring suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by MasterVic, Dec 8, 2020.

Share This Page

1. MasterVic

MasterVic New Member

Hi there - we’ve installed the Costco Volt 9-piece set plus two 4-piece expansion sets this past weekend. The planning, design and installation was easy except for burying the wires.

We have installed the transformer with the two stakes but the wires and power cable is exposed on the backside and side. Are there any suggestions on how to tidy this up? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

MV: Hide the power cable in a white cable raceway from Lowes or Home Depot. The adhesive tapes they come with are useless for attaching to brick so buy one of the 2 piece kits and attach the baseplate to the wall with a couple of small masonry anchors. As for the main lines, you can't remove the slack by pulling more of the cable up into the transformer? Coil up the excess cable with nylon ties? Or am I missing something? A close up photo of the cables might help. Bob

MasterVic and Mesodude2 like this.
  3. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Robert has the right idea. I found the product linked below online which I think might work well. It comes in different sizes, it's made of PVC and at least according to the product info, is suitable for exterior use. My only other suggestion would be to plant something there that would hide it in a way that didn't block the photocell. Or hide it inside of an appropriately sized planter. https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Flanged-Wire-Guard-Stick/dp/B00GMP3EAA/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+cable+cover&qid=1607555066&sr=8-10&th=1

Finally, you didn't ask for lighting advice but I couldn't help noticing that your wall and ceiling fixtures appear to be a bit cooler than your LL fixture lamps. If you can find similar color temperature bulbs (even energy saver bulbs come in multiple color temps now), I think it will enhance your plan (which looks terrific, fyi).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    MasterVic and Robert Mason like this.
  4. MasterVic

MasterVic New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll make a run to Home Depot and check out the raceways. I was originally thinking a conduit but didn’t think the plug would pass thru. I’ll likely need a piece of wood on the back side since the transformer is about 4” from the wall because of a drip line.

5. MasterVic

MasterVic New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I will see if I can find matching bulbs for the wall and ceiling lights. And I love the idea of possibly hiding the transformer without blocking the photocell. But if I do chose to block the photocell, do think I can use a smart plug to control the transformer/lights?

Mesodude2 likes this.
  6. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Forgot to mention how impressed I was with the lighting job, but I agree with Meso - some 2700K LEDs in the porch and wall fixtures would enhance the overall effect (I assume the 5W MR16 bulbs in the spots are 2700K - ??).

I removed the photocell from my transformer and run it off of a smart plug. In fact, I run everything off of a smart home app - the transformer, my outside house LEDs and my indoor and outdoor motion sensors. That way, everything automatically comes on at the same time, on a sunset to sunrise schedule. That also lets me fine tune the brightness of the house LEDs so they don't distract from the landscape lighting. You will need a jumbo in-use outlet cover if you go the smart plug route. If you cut off the transformer plug and install a 90 degree plug, so the smart plug and 90 degree plug will fit into a standard size in-use cover, you will void the transformer warranty (at least that's what I was told when I asked that question).

After you get the power line raceway installed, seal the ends with a dab of silicone caulk to keep the mud wasps out. Bob

MasterVic and Mesodude2 like this.
  7. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

One approach to hide or obscure the transformer would be a planter something like the one here. There’s a wide variety of designs, styles, and heights that could work.

studio_9534_8165a.jpg

MasterVic likes this.
  8. MasterVic

MasterVic New Member

Thanks Bob! The wife was happy with the result and saved @ few bucks $$$$. It was a win-win except for my back.
    The Costco kit spot lights comes with MR16 2700K 350 lumen. Not sure the wattage. The path lights are GU4 2700K 300 lumen. I will work on hiding the transformer in a planter and look into smart plug options. Thanks for all the inputs!

9. MasterVic

MasterVic New Member

Thank you sir! I will look for a planter later today.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Mesodude2 likes this.