LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Urban Landscape Design Review

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by ingrid, Dec 1, 2020.

Share This Page

1. ingrid

ingrid New Member

Hi, I've designed and installed a number of lighting systems but only used VOLT 1x previously, and this was a kit.

I'd love feedback on my fixture and beam spread choices. I've reviewed the gallery and many posts here. I'll use relatively low wattage lamps (1.5w path to 3w spots).

I have a small site, front and back, with clients who would prefer more refined lighting. Its also a high fog area, fwiw.

Every inch of the landscape is meticulously designed. Most plants are new (15g-24") with the exception of a large redwood tree in the neighbor's yard, that will overhang our pergola (see BACK). Family has baby and dog.

FRONT, 25L x 15W will be mostly succulents with 2 lg Shoestring Acacia trees. There are a few planters with spikey plants.

Tentative Plan
    1. Max Spread Mini Path (1.5w) organic alternating pattern (6)
    2. All Star Spots (2-3w) on trees (2) (15-38)
    3. All Star Mini Spots (2-3w) in planters (modern) (2)(15-38)
    4. Gentle Splash Wash on a 7L x 4W mounded succulent bed w/boulders along the main front entry path
    *** I have nowhere to hide the Wall Wash fixture. Maybe a path is better? I prefer to use a 24"h vs 14", for added interest and emphasis.

BACK, 40L x 20W ; 2/3 is a modern Connecticut bluestone patio w/ lounging & dining, a triangular pergola over the lounge corner with a large redwood (neighbor's above); other 1/3 is CA native lawn. Planting areas are border beds with fruit and olive trees, though house side has 2 long tiered redwood planter boxes.
    See attached plan.

I can't up light anything from a distance because the beds aren't deep. I can use some cross lighting.

Tentative Plan, starting behind the pergola
    1. MR16 Turret In Grade for up lighting redwood, on riser? (38?60? 5w?)
    2. Up/Down Deck Light on side pergola posts (2w string lights atop pergola)
    3. Salty Dog MR16 Well Lights on a row of Podocarpus Maki (3) (15d, 3w)
    4. Salty Dog MR16 Well Lights for olive trees (2) (38d, 3w)
    5. Hanging Light for largest olive tree
    6. All Star Spots (2-3w) on other fruit trees (4)(15-38)
    7. All Star Tommy Downlight from fence on an espaliered tree (2w, 38d)
    8. MR16 Turret In Grade (3w, ?d) for a couple of boxwood globes to silhouette) (2)
    9. Salty Dog MR16 Well Light on corner of lawn that is near main entry, bordering patio, or Path Light? (lawn is 150 sf; hand work is ok)
    10. Brass Deck Lights on sides of planter boxes (shining on patio) (2w)
    SIDE PATH between house and fence
    Tentative Plan
    Brass Deck Lights (2)

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very thoughtful plan. I won’t speak for other users but I’m a very visual person and I find it much easier to offer meaningful feedback when I can see photos of a house or landscape. Even when people submit photos, it can be difficult to make recommendations. If I only see one side of a house and have no sense of the surrounding landscape, I often find that my feedback is hit or miss.

Community Admin and ingrid like this.
  3. ingrid

ingrid New Member

Here's front and back. Not, 1 shot from the back (looking left) is very old, other shot (looking right) is this week.

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  4. ingrid

ingrid New Member

Thanks! I added a couple pix.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Ingrid. I'm not sure if you'd have to get permission from the property owner but what I had in mind was photos of the actual landscaping you're describing. My apologies if I wasn't clear about that. In any event, I think you're right to second guess the Gentle splash for the boulders off to the left in that photo. If they were tall enough to somewhat shield the fixture light so they weren't aimed at the houses, I might go with them. I'd probably use a narrower spread path light there instead. Again, overall, it sounds like you're being very thoughtful in terms of brightness, beam spread, and fixture selection. Usually when I assess a property, I can say things like: "Because this or that plant or tree is particularly dense or has thick leathery leaves, it's best lit from the side." or you'll probably need x number of this particular fixture model to make to adequately light this tree." or be careful not to mount the lights here so high that they will shine in guests eyes." or this arrangement could be a trip hazard. Perhaps try this instead." Well, you get the picture (no pun intended).

6. ingrid

ingrid New Member

Thanks Mesodude. Yea, new landscape so there are no pictures of it yet.... I have already taken out the gentle wash!! Thanks for confirming!

Mesodude2 likes this.