LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Help for First time DIY Front Landscape Lighting

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Kevin Burke, Nov 16, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

First I found Volt Lighting, and then I stumbled upon the forums! What a great resource!

We recently moved into our house, and while it looks fine at day time, it's pitch black at night. Several of the houses in the neighborhood have low voltage landscape lights, and it really does a lot for the curb appeal in the evenings.

I'm looking to do 4 of the G2 Fat Boy spotlights, and then 6 path lights (you can only see where 4 of them will go in the pictures below. These are rather large columns (25" wide at the bottom and 15' tall).

Here's a few pictures, of day time, night time, and then what I'm thinking. I'd love to get your thoughts...where I'm stuck is what I should do on the second story! All opinions welcome! Thanks!

Front of House Photograph.jpg
    Front of House - Night.jpg Front of House - Night Sketch.jpg
    Front of House Photograph sketch.jpg

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Beautiful home, Kevin. I edited one of your photos to suggest one possible plan. I'm essentially mirroring your plan for the first level. Columns on pedestals or set back somewhat from their porch level bases can sometimes be tricky to light without creating undesired shadowing. You could try simply arranging up lights the way you've indicated. Alternatively (as indicated by the orange graphics on my edited photo), you could also install puck lights underneath the porch roof rim to evenly light the columns from above. You could even downlight the inner columns and up light the outer pair of columns (or the other way around). I also love the idea of softly illuminating the second level wall sections as indicated by my diagram. I mounted a pair of discreet spotlights above our portico to illuminate brick work and to bring some more light to that level and I'm very happy with the results. The trick is figuring out how to make the wiring as discreet and low-profile as possible. Because I have red brick and the fixtures are so small, they are barely noticeable during daylight unless you're looking for them. That is, if you're concerned about them standing out too much. I actually think some copper fixtures that develop patina over time would look cool against the light, neutral tones of your homes trim and bricks. HTH

3916F4F6-6A4D-4CA2-9B48-3625DC94B2C4_1_102_o.jpeg

3. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

Wow! Thank you! I didn’t even consider the shadow created by the brick sitting out a few inches from the upper part of the column!

I think what I’ll do is start with the spotlights, and if the shadow is too much, I can go back and add the down lights as you mentioned.

I could do the entire ground level first, then come back and do the upper level once I see how the spotlights work. That way, if I do have to add down lights I can have the wiring done when I do the spotlights up top.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  4. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

I assume the best option for the spot lights would be to get the most narrow beam angle for sure. Maybe even a bit brighter lamp?

5. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Kevin: I installed some Fat Boys in my back yard. Unlike the other Volt lamps which are made from brass castings, the Fat Boys are press formed from sheet metal blanks. The lens and glare guard are a single unit which slips over the bulb casing. I don’t remember which of my lamps came with a packet of silicone grease. If yours don’t come with the grease, go to the faucet repair section of Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a 3 oz tube of Danco waterproof silicone grease. Either way, with the Volt or the Danco grease, if you expect to be able to open the lamp anytime in the future, don’t be shy about applying a good coating of grease to the housing o-ring and the bottom circumference of the upper housing. You’ll be glad you did. Bob

Mesodude2 likes this.
  6. Mesodude2

Sounds like a thoughtful approach. You may not encounter the shadowing challenge significantly or at all. It looks like you’ve got plenty of room in the beds beneath those columns to position and aim the fixtures in a way that minimizes shadowing. Btw, although down lights could work above the columns, what I had in mind where puck lights (which would be far more compact and so less visible).

7. Mesodude2

You’ll probably want to use a fairly narrow beam on your columns (15 degrees) but brightness is more of a personal preference.

8. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

Landscape Lighting Front Drawing.jpg Ok! I ordered all my lights and they'll be delivered tomorrow. Here's what I'm going with....7 spot lights (5 of them 15 degree beams) and 2 (38). Also 4 path lights to start with. Wish me luck and I'll post pictures when done!

9. Mesodude2

I could have diagrammed your photo more carefully, Kevin. If it wasn’t clear, I meant to suggest you mount the upper level fixtures to the walls and not on the porch roof gutters.

10. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

Thats ok. I considered that. But After looking at it, I feel like the gutter will look fine....we shall see.

11. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

I’ve got to make a few adjustments but here’s where we are....of course the iPhone doesn’t take the greatest pictures at night. The lights are NOT as bright as they look in the pictures.

I’m going to consider changing the bulb on the top middle light from 3W to 4 or 5 since it’s having to travel the farthest.

DC12A18F-4E25-423F-A992-19E4F88E089D.jpeg CC8EFC7E-6ECD-42DA-AB9D-5B1EABDF1DE4.jpeg 1669A900-E09B-4FC6-884C-EC95E010A774.jpeg

Mesodude2 likes this.
  12. Mesodude2

You work fast. Looking good. What color temp did you go with, btw?

13. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

1603C5C6-2AD3-41CE-AC8C-69D4104165BF.jpeg
    I’m not sure why the picture is sideways. I went with 2700. They are not this bright in person. The picture makes it look brighter than it is. I’m going to use a DSLR camera this week and take a better one.

The ground floor lights went in fast with the transformer. The upstairs lights were a pain. Those gutters are over 16’ off the gound and it took time running the wire, making adjustments, etc.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  14. Mesodude2

Yeah, photographing is tricky. The only way I can demonstrate what my lighting really looks like is by photo editing.

Kevin Burke likes this.
  15. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

Are you in the business as well?

16. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

After looking at it more, I'm going to consider something different for the upstairs lights, and possibly a frosted lens on the ground spots to dampen the brightness. Upsairs I'm just going to have to get creative on how to mount.

17. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Kevin, don’t give up on the upper spot lights just yet. It may just be an alignment issue. If light trespass isn’t an issue with the second story windows, try aiming the center of the light cone more toward the upper corner of the window frame or shutter in order to better disperse the light across the facade. Lenses are another option. Last week I installed some wide spread flood filters in some of my spot lights. I was pleasantly surprised how well these paper thin lenses dispersed and softened the light and eliminated shadow lines, although at a cost of slightly reduced light intensity. Hex louvre lenses are another option. I have some of those on order. One reviewer was impressed at how well the hex lenses worked when placed on top of a frosted lens, but again at the expense of some lumens. You thus might have to compensate with a higher wattage bulb.

Yet another option are gutter mounted wide splash flood lights. I wish I had a use for one of these; I would love to see how well the adjustable bulb works at setting just the right light intensity. The LED chips in the bulb have a 120 degree light cone. Two the these mounted in your gutter may be able to cover the entire upper facade of your house.

Just some thoughts of a lighting amateur, for what they’re worth. Also, try HDR mode on our phone camera - not perfect, but an improvement. Bob

Mesodude2 likes this.
  18. Mesodude2

I’m a hobbyist photog and a lighting enthusiast.

19. Mesodude2

I
    ‘The only way you’ll get an effect similar to your first level lights is to mount them on the brick and use extensions to bring the lights away from the wall.

20. Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke New Member

My concern is how I will mount them. I sure hate to drill several holes into my brick. That being said, I may just have to. I also wish there was a 2W 15 degree MR16 bulb. Has anyone ever put two frosted lenses on a spot? I put one on my ground level lights yesterday and couldn't really tell much of a difference.