LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need recommendations for a lighting project - Please assist

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by vatester, Sep 23, 2020.

Share This Page

1. vatester

vatester New Member

Hello,

I have to help out a friend on a landscape lighting project for and have attached the front elevation image, he is relying on me since I have some electrical background. Landscape lighting is new to me, would appreciate if you could provide pointers or tips.

A, B,C, E are 10 to 12 ft small sized trees - Planning 1 10 W spotlights
    D is a 4 ft shrub, 10 W spotlight to illuminate
    F is 20 ft tree and G is 40 ft tree - 2 20 W spotlights to illuminate trunk and center of tree
    For shrubs 2 to 4 ft, will use a 4 ft pathway light in center to illuminate full area
    A wash light on the 2 door garage
    2 10 W spot lights between the windows on left and right side of main door
    1 10 W wash light to illuminate top of the main door area

Please provide your feedback, would greatly appreciate it. The image is attached to this thread IMG_6804 - Copy.jpg

Thanks,

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

It sounds like you have a great plan in place as far as location and the general types of fixtures to use!

Were you looking for some more exact recommendations for what VOLT fixtures and wattages you could use?

3. vatester

vatester New Member

Thanks Evan, yes forgot to mention in my post. Need recommendations with respect to type of fixtures, wattages and degrees. I thought of a wall wash light, but I think it would not be appropriate in my scenario since there is no big wall span

Evan K likes this.
  4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

It will be a tad difficult to make exact recommendations from the sketch - general recommendations for the fixture and wattage won't be hard but, more so beam spreads. Without seeing the width of the trees, shrubs, spaces between windows/doors, it may be a stretch to visualize.

A, B,C, E are 10 to 12 ft small-sized trees - For these, you could likely accomplish beautiful results with one lamp-ready uplight. Our most popular spotlight options are the All-Star Spotlight and the Top Dog Spotlight. A good budget-friendly option is the G2 Fat Boy Spotlight. If you wanted more low-profile lights, well lights could also be used - such as the Salty Dog Well Light. 3W LED bulbs with moderate beam spreads (~35-60°) would be ideal for these sized trees (5W if your preference was brighter illumination for the project).
    D is a 4 ft shrub - For this, you could consider a subtle floodlight fixture; Round Wall Wash or Gentle Splash Flood Light w/ 2-3W LED bulb.
    F is 20 ft tree and G is 40 ft tree - Essentially the same recommendation as above for trees but, consider higher wattages and/or more fixtures for larger trees, and wider beam spreads for any large canopies.
    For shrubs 2 to 4 ft - Same as above for shrubs but, if you were looking for a combination of illuminating the shrub and a nearby pathway, you could consider directional path lights.
    A wash light on the 2 door garage - Garage doors typically aren't directly illuminated - glare into your eyes when you open the door may pose an issue, or reflection off garage windows producing glare at night. Typically garage doors are accenting by lantern or scone type lights. We do offer a low-voltage (12v) sconce but, garage light applications are typically 120V.
    2 10 W spot lights between the windows on left and right side of main door - It sounds like you have a good plan here; just be sure to keep the beam spreads narrow to avoid glare off windows or light intrusion into the home at night (15-38°). 2-3W LEDs are typically ideal for illumination directly on a home. 5W would be if you desired brighter illumination in a particular spot; perhaps a stone wall or something but, 7W would be approaching the 'runway look' in terms of overkill.
    1 10 W wash light to illuminate top of the main door area - A popular option for second-story illumination is using a gutter mount and considering something like a low-profile spotlight such as the Spark Spotlight or the All-Star Mini Spotlight. Again, generally lower wattages ideal for subtle illumination directly on the home (2-3W).

vatester and Mesodude2 like this.