LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Small 1-3W Waterfall Lights for Dry Installation

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by sagosto, Jul 18, 2020.

Share This Page

1. sagosto

sagosto New Member

The 3 Mini Brass LED Underwater Pond Set is perfect but it's not recommended for a dry install. The lights will be placed in the rocks that are arranged to carry water from an elevated spa down to the pool. However, at night, the pump is off an no water. Any ideas?

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

So, the lights would still be on throughout the night when the water is not running?

We have not specifically tested the Mini Brass Pond Lights for this - I'm reluctant to say that it likely would function beautifully but the longterm effects on the lights would be unforeseeable.

We don't have any other underwater lights of that size exactly but, the Salty Dog MR16 Underwater Light would not require the constant running water and you have control over the light output (bulb wattage) versus the integrated pond lights.

3. sagosto

sagosto New Member

Yes. The vast majority of the time they will be out of the water. The Salty Dog would be too big. The Mini Brass would be perfect size wise. How is this different from the other bullets? They are made for water so intrusion isn't an issue.

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I’m not an engineer but I suspect the issue is heat dissipation. The non-submersible fixtures are designed to resist water intrusion but they’re not waterproof. If your dry land lights were flooded, they might survive. But it’d probably depend on how deeply they were submerged and for how long. I think what Evan is suggesting is that it’s not clear that the mini lights could tolerate the heat buildup long term to the same extent that the hybrid fixtures can. My guess would be that it’s probably due to the mini light’s smaller housing. I also imagine that the non-submersible fixtures would be even less likely to trap heat than the larger hybrid submersibles. Bottom line is, your approach could work but there’s no way to test this without voiding your warranty.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  5. sagosto

sagosto New Member

There's nothing in the description that suggests that it must be installed in water. How would the warranty be voided? Did I miss something?

Evan K likes this.
  6. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

It’s under the specs tab. Again, I’m not an engineer (or a VOLT rep either, btw) but the manifestations of wear and environmental effects on a fixture that’s been continually submerged are likely very different from one that’s rarely or never been touched by water.

Evan K likes this.
  7. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

It is mentioned in the specs tab as @Mesodude2 mentioned but, you did bring up a great point about mentioning this in the details tab.

I mentioned this to our team and we were able to add a more precise nomenclature- thank you for helping point that out so we could improve it!

Mesodude2 likes this.
  8. sagosto

sagosto New Member

Let's improve it by making it work in a dry environment. :)