LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Feedback on this photo - spotlight uplighting placement and adjustment

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by dw886, Sep 20, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dw886

dw886 New Member

I have a job where there's some 60 degree spotlights to light up the outline of a house. There's a significant hot spot that shows on the siding, and it's almost distracting. Is there a way to soften these up? The spotlights are either completely vertical (pointed straight up), or even beyond vertical (pointing away from the house).

I'm looking for some feedback as to how these should be adjusted. You can see that it's lighting up the roof. InkedWP_20170919_20_34_01_Rich_LI.jpg

Should the light be rotated so the glare guard is on the house-side of the light rather than on the side away from the house? Is this an indication that they're too close or too far away from the house?

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Most will install these lights from 1 ft. to 2 ft. from the house. You need to tilt them farther back until the hot spot is stretched vertically from the bottom of the beam to the eaves. The glare guard should not be positioned on the house side.

3. dw886

dw886 New Member

Thanks Steve. I already have them over-center (they're tilted back so much that they're actually pointed slightly away from the house at this point). They're positioned at about 18" from the house. Based on my pictures, do you think that I need to move them back from the house, put them closer to the house, or adjust the tilt to point them even more away from the house?

4. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

I would keep tilting them back till the hot spot spreads out. By the way, are you using a diffusion or spread lens/filter. It looks wider than 60º?

5. dw886

dw886 New Member

No diffusion / filter. Just stock Infiniti 60 G3 spotlights...I can post a picture of the placement of them too if that helps. It is a really tall section of this house, because it's two stories (with 9' ceilings) plus a daylight basement.

6. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Ok, just keep tilting back and see what happens.

7. All Wet Irrigation

All Wet Irrigation New Member

I think I would bulbs with a much narrower beam spread. You are trying to uplight 2 stories and I think that 60 degrees spreads out too much and is causing you to have some pretty bright hot spots.
    Kelly Rozansky
    All Wet Irrigation & Lighting

8. dw886

dw886 New Member

Any thoughts on what beam spread would look best for this type of application? Since these are G3 Infiniti 60's, I can swap out the lens for 12, 24, or 35 degree spread. Any thoughts on where to start? I literally have them tilted so far back that they're pointing away from the house, and positioned at 27" from the wall.

9. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Try 35º.

10. dw886

dw886 New Member

What's the difference between the 3up and 6up lenses?

11. All Wet Irrigation

35 would not be a bad choice. I would also put them both along the front wall. It looks like the close one is on the corner. I'm not sure if there is any space behind that small tree.

12. All Wet Irrigation

I also generally use 20 watt equivalent bulbs for 1 story and 35 watt equivalent for 2 story areas.

13. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Good suggestions from All Wet, thanks.

dw886, the answer to your question about 3-up vs. 6-up. refers to a 3-LED (3 LED chips) array or a 6-LED (6 LED chips) array. Infiniti 30 and Infiniti 40 are both 3-up. Infiniti 60 is 6-up.

14. dw886

dw886 New Member

So when I ordered these, I inadvertently thought that the 30, 40, and 60 in the Infiniti product name was corresponding to the beam angle. That being said, I put 60's uplighting my house. Do you think that these are just too bright for what I'm using them for?

Maybe moving to the 40's would be a better choice and eliminate some of this too? I did order 35 degree filters, so I plan on trying that out as well when they get here, but your comment on wattage has me thinking...

15. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Unfortunately, yes, the Infiniti 60 is a bit bright for the siding of a house, and using a 35º degree lens will make it even more bright.

16. dw886

dw886 New Member

OK, so knowing that what I have is likely too bright to get the results that I need, what would be the best light for this application?

17. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

The Infiniti 40 with 35º optic or an All-Star with 5W 38º 2700K lamp.

18. dw886

dw886 New Member

Is there a reason that you'd choose one of these over the other? They're basically the same price as one another, and the All-Star looks like it's just as configurable as the Infiniti, but uses less power for the same lumen output....

19. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

With the All-Star you have more flexibility with light output if you ever want the change that (by changing the lamp). With the Infiniti you're locked into the 450-lumen output. The advantage of an integrated fixture such as the Infiniti is that you don't need to install a lamp - makes for an easier installation.