LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

General installation questions

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Lori in socal, Apr 24, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Lori in socal

Lori in socal New Member

Hi,

New to landscape lighting, and this is probably a silly question, but --

Can you daisy-chain LED path/spot lights on a single supply line? In other words, you run one single supply line (connected to transformer), then pigtail the individual lights onto it?? I am a little confused as to how the individual lights connect to the main wire?? so in the end I will have ONE wire to plug into the quick connect/transformer with 3-4 lights connected to each other??

If using the 'hub' how do pigtails connect and run to hub, then does a main wire run from the hub to the transformer?

Thanks,
    Lori

Community Admin likes this.
  2. Patrick

Patrick New Member

I haven't used Volts hub before but typically the supply line will run from the supply to the hub and then the lights wire to a terminal block in the hub. If daisy chaining them, the hub is not required. The hub is the better route though if there is ever any troubleshooting to be done.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  3. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Patrick. Though you may save on cable by daisy chaining your lights, the hub system is way easier and faster. Easy connections and troubleshooting, no messy wire nut grease (pig tailing) and your connections are above ground.

Lori in socal likes this.
  4. Lori in socal

Lori in socal New Member

Thanks, I will pick up a hub for each string of lights I plan to run, seems like a no-brainer now that I look at how inexpensive it is! Thanks for your help. Hopefully I wont catch my house on fire trying to hook this all up :D

Mesodude2 likes this.
  5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

In case you weren’t aware, the Pro junction hub allows you to power up to 7 fixtures and you can also connect one hub to another.

6. Community Admin

Community Admin Community Admin Staff Member

LED is extremely 'flexible' with input operating voltages but, using hub to hub can open up a can of worms with voltage loss issues depending on the power load or even length of runs. Also, depending on the setup, it may put additional power draw on a hub that it wasn't intended for and lead to unforeseeable issues. Doable but, advised against.

Hubs are super convenient for most applications but, for a project like lighting a modestly long path, daisy-chaining is often more convenient. Many people often, in fact, run two separate lines down either side of a path to avoid even having to run the wire under a sidewalk. With how simple and flexible low-voltage LED is to work with, there really are endless solutions for the endless styles of projects - preference is the key decider at the EOD.

And low-voltage is completely safe to work with! Our transformers are built like tanks for UL Listings as well and include their own levels of circuit protection and power load management - peace of mind for PROs and homeowners!