LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Wiring in Kits

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Philip Ehrmann, Mar 23, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Philip Ehrmann

Philip Ehrmann New Member

I have an existing system that needs upgrades and some replacement. I have a 300w Volt Transformer I bought in 2018. The run I have to replace is just at 100 ft long. I was going to purchase 2 kits - the G2 expansion and the Path light expansion kit. All of that will go on 1 single wire run. I'd like to go to a 12 gauge or 10 gauge instead of the 14 gauge in the kits. Can I purchase the kit but get 10 or 12 gauge wire (paying for the difference in pricing of course)? Alternatively, if I buy 12 gauge wire, can I use the 14 gauge that comes in the kits for short runs off the main run. Will that work for voltage concerns? I plan on expanding the number of lights on the 100 ft run in the future.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Philip. I’m not sure why you think you need such heavy gauge cable but based on what you’ve written, my impression is that you could be better off configuring your own unique kit by simply buying the individual fixtures, transformer, cable, and accessories needed for your project. If I were you, I’d contact CS at Volt and explain in detail what my lighting goals and challenges are. That way, they can advise you on the most practical and cost effective approach to buying your components. Hope this helped.