LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Path Light turns off then back on

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Chris Gallacher, Nov 4, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Chris Gallacher

Chris Gallacher New Member

The run has 2 torch lights and 3 path lights. It has
    been fine for about 6 months. The one closest to the
    slim line transformer set to dusk to dawn turns off
    for about 15 seconds or so then turns back on for
    several minutes and repeats. What should I be
    looking for? I am using Volt 16/2 cable &
    VOLT® 5W Single Source LED MR16 (30 Watt Halogen)

Thanks for any help.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Chris. A couple questions...First, which wiring method are you using (Daisy Chain, Loop, T, Hub or some combo)? What's the length of the wire between that first light and the transformer? If it's less than 10 feet, it could cause that bulb to fail faster than the others. If you replace the bulb and find that the problem has been resolved, then there's a pretty good chance that fixture being too close to the transformer was the issue. Another good tell would be if that light is (or was) brighter than the two that follow. Evan will correct me if I'm off base but that's my working theory based on what you've told us so far.

3. Chris Gallacher

Hello Mesodude2 Thanks for responding. It is a path light about 6' from the transformer. The bulb prior burned out. I did replace the bulb with the one i mentioned from
    VOLT® 5W Single Source LED MR16 (30 Watt Halogen) It does seem brighter. Anything I can do to correct this?

4. Chris Gallacher

Forgot to mention this pathway light is coming from a hub.

5. Mesodude2

Hi again, Chris. If I understand you, the pathway light is connected to the transformer and it's also connected to a hub. Correct? Also, when you say the pathway light is 6' from the transformer do you mean that the length of cable connecting the fixture to the transformer is only 6' or do you simply mean that the pathway light is physically 6' from the transformer? If you mean the former then that's probably what's causing the bulbs in that first fixture to burn out too quickly. If you replace the wire between that fixture and the transformer with one that’s 10 feet or longer (I'd cut one 15' or even 20' to be on the safe side), that could very well solve your problem.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Chris Gallacher

Hi Mesodude2..thanks again for staying with this. Yes the cable comes from the transformer to the hub then to the fixture which is
    tops 4' away, same with the cable. Adding say 20' additional wire underground rolled up I assume would solve this problem?
    Thanks

Mesodude2 likes this.
  7. Mesodude2

You’re welcome. Yes, based on the scenario you’ve described, I am reasonably confident that should solve the problem, Chris. Btw, for potential future adjustments, it’s usually a good idea to leave a little extra cable than you need. Please let us know the results (either way) after you’ve tried this. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Evan K likes this.
  8. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

I agree with @Mesodude2; from what you have described, the issue is with the one light so, I would focus on checking the wire connection, testing at the hub/fixture to verify proper voltage (to the points you've both mentioned over-voltage can certainly harm longevity), then opting for replacements if needed after troubleshooting. Though LED input ranges can be wide, 12-15V is generally best for optimal longevity.

Definitely let us know what your testing reveals!

Mesodude2 likes this.
  9. Chris Gallacher

Adding additional cable...what gauge should I use... thanks, I will keep you posted.

Mesodude2 and Evan K like this.
  10. Evan K

With the close/short distance you said the fixture is at, if you had any of the 16-gauge cable left over, you could use that.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  11. Chris Gallacher

I added an additional 16' after about 20 minutes same thing it shuts off then turns back on.
    I did not bury the additional wire until I was sure this worked. Unfortunately it did not.
    Sorry I don't own a volt meter. Any other suggestions? Thanks

12. Mesodude2

Hi, Chris. I don't know how I missed this before... First, which path light model are you using? I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any path lights that accept the MR16. I wonder if you're perhaps using a 5W GU4 bulb (see link below). That bulb is meant for the estate size path fixtures and if you're using it in a fixture that's only meant for 4W or less (which I believe is the case for most path lights Volt offers) then that could very well be the real problem. Please let us know. Thanks. https://www.voltlighting.com/low-voltage-lighting-led-g4-5w-2200k/p/GU4-50-22

13. Chris Gallacher

Touchdown! I reduced the wattage to 10W Halogen 100 lumens T3 Bulb from Home Depot
    just to try it and it worked.
    I don't know which model of path light it is as it is not on the site anymore besides i purchased
    this as a complete kit from Costco online as follows.
    Kit Includes:

• 6x VOLT® Premium Brass Spotlights with Attached Stakes
    • 6x VOLT® LED MR-16 Bulbs (2700K/350 Lumens/30W Halogen Equivalent)
    • 3x VOLT® Brass Path & Area Lights with Attached Stakes
    • 3x VOLT® LED GU4 BiPin Bulbs (2700K/300 Lumens/20W Halogen Equivalent)
    • 1x VOLT® 150-Watt Stainless Transformer (Capable of supporting additional fixtures)
    • 1x Photocell and timer (built-in to the transformer)
    • 1x Stainless Steel Pedestal Mount for Transformer
    • 2x VOLT® Hammer Stakes (For Pedestal Mount)
    • 2x VOLT® Weather-Proof Wire Hubs
    • 2x VOLT® Hub Stakes
    • 1x 100' Low-Voltage Wire Spool (14AWG)
    • 1x VOLT® Wire Strippers 1x VOLT® Step-by-step Installation Guide
    • 1x VOLT® Lifetime Warranty (Covers all included products)
    So to wrap this up I should use & order these bulbs from Volt & I should be good, is that correct?

Thank You
    Chris Gallacher

14. Mesodude2

Hi, Chris. Evan will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the recommended replacement bulb for your path light is the 3W G4 LED Bi-Pin (see link below). Also, you have an LED transformer with which I'm not sure it's a good idea to mix and match halogen and LED bulbs. I'm pretty sure there's transformer output compatibility issues with the halogen bulbs, for one thing. Further, the halogen bulbs already don't have as long a lifespan as the LED bulbs and with the aforementioned transformer compatibility issue, the lifespan will likely be further decreased. Another issue is that, at only 100 lumens, that replacement bulb won't be nearly as bright as the other path lights. Finally (and again, Evan will correct me if I'm mistaken), if you're using a bulb that's incompatible with your system, you could damage the fixture (or worse) and you could void your warranty. So, if the bulb linked below isn't appropriate, Evan or someone else at Volt will be able to recommend one. Hope this helps.

https://www.voltlighting.com/low-vo...YEtJObV3NQO4QMEmcrtQ7b4Wezxiv6zhoCh9cQAvD_BwE

15. Evan K

Great catch @Mesodude2 ! I didn't notice that Chris mentioned an MR16 bulb.

@Chris Gallacher , the G4 bulbs are the bulbs intended for use with the path lights, not the MR16s. For any replacement bulbs from us, you should definitely always contact us directly so that we can verify the exact type you need for your fixture(s)! In addition to a quick and easy replacement process, it will help keep the light output of your entire system matching and safely working.

Mesodude2 likes this.