LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

A landscape lighting project for a newbie. Help

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Heidi Aldana, Oct 16, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Heidi Aldana

Heidi Aldana New Member

This is my house pic 1 and I want to achieve this look picture 2. Please help! 755161CF-6CB4-4E7A-AD3F-9C5D1DD3F5B8.jpeg E4B69626-0AD2-4EF2-995E-2503521BB720.jpeg

2. Heidi Aldana

Heidi Aldana New Member

At night this is my current lighting F938EE9E-17C1-4560-A0D3-2B913E06A84F.jpeg

Mesodude likes this.
  3. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Absolutely gorgeous home, Heidi. From what I can tell, the entire facade of the house in the youtube screenshot was basically illuminated using evenly spaced uplights and/or floodlights along the foundation of the house. If you like that effect, I think you'll want to be mindful of the light trespass that occurs when fixtures are placed directly beneath windows (especially in bedrooms). However, if you're careful not to go too bright, you may achieve the desired effect without having too much unwanted light shining inside. If I were lucky enough to have such a striking house, I would probably instead emphasize the more interesting features of the (see my diagram of your photo attached). For instance, I like the soffit lights highlighting the stonework of your entryway. That turreted room to the left of the entrance is also cool, as is the fountain in the center. Those features, imo, would be less striking if the entire facade of the house is lit. If you get a chance, I highly recommend you check out some of the instructional videos and articles on this site. I've found these to be very helpful as I develop my own lighting plan and I learn what lighting effects I find most appealing.

Attached Files:

4. Heidi Aldana

Heidi Aldana New Member

Thanks Mesodude. Would the effect be different if I place all the lights at the foot of the house vs at the roof line like you have? Also I’ve seen houses like this and I don’t like how you have a ball of light in spots. Would this be resolved by using flood light instead of spots? Would using higher watts ensure my light reaches higher to the peak of the house? Thanks so much

5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

6. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Evan K likes this.