LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Almost done...spotlight issue

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by pivotalrex, Oct 15, 2019.

Share This Page

1. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

I installed spotlights/path lights over the weekend. I have 2 mini spotlights that I have to attach to the gutters to illuminate the two peaks on the house. Considering getting 2-3 well lights for the retaining wall on the right.

The issue I have is the spotlight that is on the right center column is blinding when you're walking out of the house. I have one spotlight on each of the two center columns and would like to keep them but can't seem to fix the issue. I bought both the frosted lens and the hex lens. Neither worked in reducing the blinding light. In the second picture you can see I don't have much room to play with as far as moving the light to the side.

I would appreciate any suggestions. My next step is taking both spotlights for the columns out and returning them. trying to avoid this if possible.

thanks,

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  2. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Hi, Keith. Looking pretty good so far. I’m assuming you opted for the 2W bulbs? If not, swapping in those in place of 3W might be the least costly way to address the brightness issue. Another approach would be to use a couple of well lights which would enable you to lower the bulb below ground level and out of sight. The challenge with this approach is that the border of your walkway could limit your ability to simultaneously reduce glare and illuminate the column as effectively as you’d like. A better approach (one I might have recommended had I initially seen how the soffits are designed on the first level of your house) I think would be to mount puck lights above the columns. The version linked below is only 100 lumens. Evan will correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think it’s possible to return fixtures once they’ve been used. Fortunately, though, you could always use those spotlights to light upper portions of your house or in your landscape. Hope this helps.

https://www.voltlighting.com/landsc...lighting-led-buddy-pro-27008/p/VHS-6702-8-BRB

pivotalrex likes this.
  3. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

Thanks Mesodude.

I went with 3w since those two spotlights are 15 degrees. Volt doesn't carry that in 2w. And you're correct, with the border of the walkway and the width of the step I'm not able to use well lights. I even tried bringing the spotlight closer and having it almost vertical but I can only get about 8 inches closer and it still shines in your eyes.

The plan was to go with less path lights but my wife preferred to have the entire walkway lit. (No unlit/ shadow spots if you will).

Thanks for the heads up on the return policy.

4. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

5. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

No problem, Kevin. It is amazing how bright even 50 lumens is when there is very little ambient light. Columns can be tricky to light sometimes. The columns on my house are set back somewhat from the base of my porch. To avoid a shadow when they are uplit, I bought extensions so that the columns will be lit from the bottom. Evan or someone else from Volt will correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that replacing your 3W with 2W 38° bulbs and adding 17 degree optics (which I believe would also decrease the light output slightly) could be a relatively inexpensive workaround. I'm just not sure the available optics would fit your fixture models. If not, I really think the puck lights mounted on your soffits above the columns would look great.

6. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey guys,

Apologies for the delay; I was out of the office for the GIE expo this week. Short of changing the fixtures or removing them altogether, my recommendation would be to move the fixtures closer to the columns, angle the upwards more and raise the glare guards if possible. It's difficult to tell what fixture it is and if you have the room but, this would be the best way to combat the glare. We generally recommend installing a light about a foot away from what you are trying to uplight; it looks like you MAY have some room there. Also, for the windows on the right side of the, having the fixtures closer to the wall (about a foot again), angled upwards with the glare guards also raised will help to carefully shoot light further up the sides of those windows as well which will extend the lighting effect and highlight the architecture up top. Pointing spotlights directly at the wall can create hotspots whereas you want the light to graze the wall for a subtle accenting effect.

upload_2019-10-21_9-22-40.png

Mesodude2 likes this.