LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

spotlight glare guard question

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Nahe, Sep 29, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Nahe

Nahe New Member

Hi, Is it ok to have the glare guard of a spotlight mounted upside down as shown in the picture. I am doing it to prevent glare from a viewing spot. Will this make the fixture more susceptible to moisture entry? The screw for tightening the glare guard is at the top which I prevent quick water drainage so I inserted a small thin piece of the aluminium sheet between the glare guard and the fixture on the bottom side which results in quick water drainage.

Attached Files:

2. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Hi, Nahe. I think I understand the issue you're having. When aimed as shown in your photo, the design of the glare guard allows water to pool on top of the lens. Correct? If that's the case, it sounds like you've found a good work around. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but since the fixture can be used without the glare guard, I'm doubtful that water could easily enter the fixture from the top.

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Water puddling on the lens is an issue when reversing a glare guard like that as @Mesodude mentioned. Weep-holes are typically drilled into a glare guard or lens to combat this but, it sounds like you were able to create drainage without altering the fixture and voiding the warranty. It also sounds like its a somewhat vital adjustment for making sure your system is both beautiful and comfortable; I would recommend just keeping an eye on the fixture over time to make sure no moisture is maybe building up inside of the fixture.

Mesodude likes this.
  4. Nahe

Nahe New Member

Thanks for your replies Mesodude and Evan. Yes, I was worried about water puddle after reversing the guard. When I tested it water drained slowly. And that was because the tightening screw was on the top and tightening the screw meant the bottom of the reversed glare guard was snug resulting in slow water drainable. After I inserted a piece of metal to create a gap but still have the glare guard fit snug, water drained quickly so it seems to be working for now.
    If as Mesodude suggested, the fixture can be used without a glare guard, I should be fine as long as water somehow does not start to puddle. Evan, can you confirm, that the fixtures are designed to fully usable without glare guard?
    As Evan suggested, I still need to make sure that, over time water does not somehow start to puddle as metals expand and contract.

Evan K likes this.
  5. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

The glare guards are a strictly aesthetic piece on the spotlights you have. So, removing them won't make the fixture more prone to water intrusion. The lens assembly/cover itself being snug with the gasket on the fixture's body is what is important for moisture protection.

Mesodude likes this.
  6. Nahe

Nahe New Member

Thanks Evan. That helps.

Evan K likes this.