LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Retrofitting a Gas Lamp-Any suggestions on wiring this lamp to connect with my low voltage system?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by mattatl, Jul 12, 2019.

Share This Page

1. mattatl

mattatl New Member

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey there Matt,

That's a beautiful lantern; I can certainly see why you would want to keep it if possible. My honest recommendation would be to consult your preferred local electrician (or professional landscape lighting installer) to discuss how this would be done. Essentially, with the proper components and execution, any fixture can be retrofitted to low-voltage, line-voltage, etc. but, if the process would be complex it is sometimes cheaper and much more convenient to opt for new fixtures. Short of simply telling you to gut the gas-related components and buy a low-voltage socket assembly with the necessary transformer/cable, I cannot guide you to the best/safest way of doing so, unfortunately.

3. mattatl

mattatl New Member

Thanks Evan. I'm fairly handy and was planning on taking out the gas components, but wondered if Volt made something that I could adapt for the upper lantern...I was thinking a bollard might work, I just don't know how i could mount the base to the bottom of the housing...maybe use some sort of Volt surface mount???

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Our bollard lights actually use (2) of our puck lights, which we do sell separately from the bollards. With a diameter of 1.5" and a thickness of less than an inch, it could very well be an option. The puck also comes with 8 feet of pre-attached, 18-gauge lead wire.

5. mattatl

mattatl New Member

Thanks Evan...

6. Lumiscape

Lumiscape New Member

This may not be enough light for you, but it's a 1w Volt puck light in a bird feeder.

Attached Files:

Evan K likes this.
  7. Lumiscape

Lumiscape New Member

I have also installed them in a fixture like yours, but it already had 3 candelabra base sockets. If you could find a way to put some G4 bases in there, just use corncob bulbs and run the wire through the bollard. You could even run some 18ga through the gas line. I don't see any reason for an electrician - a plumber, maybe, to disconnect the gas.