LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Wiring help

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Rlucas2125, Jul 14, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Rlucas2125

Rlucas2125 New Member

Hi, Newbie here. I need some guidance with wiring my lights. I have 2 of the starter kits from Costco, https://www.costco.com/VOLT-Landscape-Lighting-9-piece-Path-%26-Area-Light-Brass-LED-Starter-Kit.product.100367623.html. and I have purchased extra spot lights.
    So now I have:
    22 5w spot lights
    4 3w path lights
    2 150 watt transformers
    14g wire
    6 hubs

My questions are: Where to place the hubs? Do I need larger gauge wire? Will the (2) 150w transformers be enough? See pics and diagram.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Randy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Mesodude likes this.
  2. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Welcome and great diagram, Randy. The total bulb wattage per kit is 39W. It looks like you’re only using 4 of your 6 included path lights. Regardless, as long as you don’t exceed the recommended 80% load limit (120W, by my math) on either transformer, you should have no problems. I’m planning my own 20 light system and am also seeking wiring layout advice. Meantime, you might find the following article helpful: https://www.voltlighting.com/articl...er-instructions/p/article-outdoor-transformer

Evan K likes this.
  3. Rlucas2125

Rlucas2125 New Member

Thank you Mesodude!

Mesodude likes this.
  4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Excellent diagram indeed! Mesodude hit the nail on the head; as long as you balance the loads amongst the 2 transformers without surpassing the recommended 80% threshold, your system should have no issues and even have some room for expansion in the future. 14-gauge is generally rated for uses up to 75-feet so, taking into account where you marked the spots for the transformers and the hubs, you should have enough cable and proper power distribution if installed correctly. For the hubs, I would use (2) in the back for the lights along the drive (each can connect up to 7 lights and a homerun wire so, you would only need to wire 1 of those 15 lights separately). In the front, you could use a hub on either side of the entrance walkway. The additional hubs could be saved for possible future expansion; perhaps you may want to add lights to the back patio area down the road.

Mesodude likes this.
  5. Rlucas2125

Rlucas2125 New Member

Thanks Evan, this is a great help! So, on one of the 15 lights in the back I would run the shortest one directly to the transformer?

6. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Whichever fixture would be convenient for you and the amount of cable you had left/could spare really but, yes, you would wire (1) of them directly to the transformer.