LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Front Lighting Input

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by RonD, Apr 4, 2019.

Share This Page

1. RonD

RonD New Member

Hello. Looking for some input on type and placement of lighting for the front exterior of a new build....

Thank you. Exterior - Copy.jpg

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Ron,

Beautiful home you have there! I would be happy to provide some general recommendations.

Is there any particular style of lighting that you are fond of or, maybe a style or design you wish to avoid? Would you want lights to illuminate the second story as well?

3. RonD

RonD New Member

Thank you! Yes, we definitely want to illuminate the second story...I don't think there is a particular style we are leaning towards or against, but really looking for input on placement, the number of lights, and what type to use. The house sits up on a hill with a good backdrop of trees and we're looking to wash a relatively soft light over the entire front facade and then in later phases when the final landscape is completed, we will uplight many of the trees and other landscape features, but the focus is on the house initially.

Thanks for your help.

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Ron,

Understood. I took the liberty of attaching a photo to illustrate some general recommendations for where you can place your lights.

For uplighting your home, I would recommend using spotlights or in-ground lights. Both styles offer customization of the light, adjustability of the output, and they offer the uplighting that you are looking for. It would really come down to personal preference which you wanted to use. A spotlight is simple to install with a ground stake, offers easy adjustability for direct control of the light output. A well light would take a little more effort for the in-ground install but, the results are just as beautiful and the fixtures are extremely low profile (essentially incognito when installed). For any tight spaces between the windows and on the stone columns, it would be best to keep the beam spreads narrow (15-24 degrees depending on the type/style of the fixture). The opposite goes for wide areas of open wall; wide beam angles would be ideal here. The fixtures on the second story can be mounted using gutter mounts and surface mounts have also been used.

If you had any questions as to specific fixture types for your house or the trees that you plan to illuminate, don't hesitate to shoot me another message!

Attached Files: