LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Help with front of house design

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Keith, Mar 9, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Attached is a picture of the front of my home. We are struggling to design lighting for the front of it. We want to highlight not only the columns but the third floor peak. We are struggling. I'd prefer not to do downlighting if possible...but the more I'm looking at it I may not have a choice. The windows certainly make it a challenge... House.jpg Any suggestions/thoughts?

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Keith,

Beautiful home! I can definitely see how the unique design makes it tricky to plan any lighting. Nevertheless, I am more than happy to offer some general suggestions. I took the liberty of attaching an image to help illustrate the recommendations.

For the spotlights, I would certainly recommend using bulbs/optics with narrow beam spreads to make sure the light is focused in the proper areas rather than shining in your windows (15-24 degrees). A puck light (or 2 in a crossing manner) could be mounted to the underside of the peak's roofline to illuminate the upper area you mentioned. A spotlight with a lower level of light output (lumens) directly below the puck light(s) on the ground (near the staircase) would ensure that the area below the upper windows was also illuminated.

Of course, I know you said you weren't keen on downlighting so, another option would be to use a spotlight with a standard level of output (or higher if you preferred) in that middle spot to direct light to the peak from the ground (a narrower beam spread would also help here). Because I noticed you don't have much light around your entryway or driveway, I marked some spots in the picture that you could also consider installing path & area lights; they are great for a welcoming entrance and safety/security. If you may need any more recommendations on maybe what types of fixture(s), or accessories to use, shoot me another message!

recommendations.png

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Wow. Very helpful and thorough! Thank you very much for your help!

Evan K likes this.
  4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Always a pleasure!