LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Maximum Number of lights/runs on 150W transformer

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Lori in socal, Sep 15, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Lori in socal

Lori in socal New Member

Hi,

For my application I am looking to connect 3 runs of lights (via Hubs) into a 150W transformer.

Run 1: 6 to 8 Uplights (into central hub) - then into transformer approximately 80' away
    Run 2: 6 to 8 Uplights (into central hub) - then into transformer approximately 80' away
    Run 3: 3 to 4 Well lights (buried in grass beside concrete pavers) along pathway to pool - then to transformer approximately 60 feet away.

15-18 total lights, via 3 central hubs, longest lead about 80'.

Is this too much to run via 150W transformer?
    Are the leads too long, or will this be OK?

Thanks,
    Lori

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi Lori

As long as your total bulb wattage load doesn’t exceed 80% (120W) of your transformer’s capacity and your runs are not super long (80 ft isn’t) you should be fine. I’m assuming that most of your lights are in the 5W or lower range so you should be good.

Evan K and Lori in socal like this.
  3. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Lori: If you already own a Volt transformer, then you already know, per the cable selection chart in the transformer manual, that you can make your transformer to hub main runs with 12 gauge cable, assuming all of your lights are LEDs. If you haven’t already bought the cable, buy it from Volt. The prices are more than competitive and the cable has a slightly thinner insulation layer than other brands, making it easier to handle and easier to install in connectors and hubs, especially the Volt Pro Junction hub. Have fun. Bob

Evan K and Lori in socal like this.
  4. Lori in socal

Lori in socal New Member

thank you! this is exactly what I needed. I have the 150W transformer in the front yard (2 hubs, 4 lights each), but I couldn't remember what the wattage and distance specs were for the lamps and runs. Thanks again!

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  5. Lori in socal

Lori in socal New Member

Thanks. I did buy the last set from volt (whole kit with the 12g wire. Thats my plan for the back two (buy the kit and a couple expansion kits). Thanks for the advice.

Evan K likes this.