LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting beyond property line

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jackelantern, Feb 14, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Jackelantern

Jackelantern New Member

So, I have my property lit very nicely with volt equipment.

I am struggling with one issue though. I have a fence that stretches to the edges of my property in the back, right and left. Behind and to the right of my property are common areas in my subdivision. The common area behind my property is a ~20 foot section of grass that connects to form, probably, a half mile path behind numerous houses running along a large creek. The common area to the right is a plot of land that was reserved to maintain 2 large trees.

While my property is well lit, the common areas that surround me on 2 sides are as black as night. I feel that it looks unattractive and is a pretty large security risk.

I would like to figure out a way to mitigate this issue. Should I light my fence along the outside border? Should I light the ground around my fence with flood lights? Are there other better options that I am not thinking about?

Thanks ahead of time!

Evan K likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I might go with either a few evenly spaced deck lights mounted low enough on the outside of your fence that they will light a pathway along the fence (without offending any neighbors with glare) or the Wide Splash flood mounted on a few post or near the top of the fence. I especially like the WS because it has a glare shield and can be manually dimmed to just the right light level. If you aim it straight downward, it should provide adequate security without offending neighbors or ruining your view of the night sky.

https://www.voltlighting.com/landscape-lighting-12v-deck-light-bz/p/VDL-600-BBZ

https://www.voltlighting.com/landscape-lighting-12v-floodlight-brass-wide-splash/p/BVN-VFL-4007-BBZ

Evan K likes this.