LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

About Transformers

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by JDB, Nov 29, 2019.

Share This Page

1. JDB

JDB New Member

I've noticed that Volt recommends a magnetic transformer? I'm curious to understand this? I'm looking at Unique lights that appear to have the same MR16 LED fixtures and they do not specify the type of transformer? I already own a 200W digital transformer and would prefer to use this with the Volt Salty Dog and Deck Light MR16 system? I'll likely buy the Unique lights if I am required to purchase a new transformer. I'm not requesting a lesson on magnetic v electric, I just need clarification on why Volt is specifying magnetic?

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which recommendation you're referring to but I can think of at least three different reasons someone might choose a magnetic transformer over an electronic one. Although electronic transformers are lighter, more compact, and less expensive, magnetic transformers are a lot quieter, less sensitive to heat, way more durable, and last several times longer. I would have loved to have a nice lightweight, budget-friendly transformer that was easy to conceal behind a small shrub but I decided to spend a little more money to have a quieter transformer that I know I won't have to replace for a very long time.

3. JDB

JDB New Member

Thanks, I appreciate your insights! I thought I read somewhere on the sight that the Volt LEDS required the use of a Volt magnetic transformer?

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Evan or someone else from Volt will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that electronic transformers and LED fixtures may not always play well together because of LED circuitry. If you look at the available transformers here on the website, you'll notice that the description for most models state specifically that they are LED transformers while a few models' descriptions indicate that they are "ideal" for both halogen and LED fixtures. So if LED fixtures work well with all of Volt's transformers, I assume that they only sell magnetic transformers. Bottom line it sounds like LED fixtures may work just fine with some non-magnetic transformers but if you're planning a system from scratch, it's probably best to choose the most compatible technologies.

5. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

In addition to magnetic transformers being the standard that our devices are tested/rated with, they are preferred over electronic transformers for a number of reasons. Magnetic transformers generally offer much greater reliability for starters. They also offer quieter and more efficient operation than electronic transformers. If planning to use our bulbs or fixtures, a magnetic transformer is highly recommended for optimal efficiency and longevity and to protect the lifetime warranties.