LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Volt transformer trips

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Ronald Archibeque, Dec 14, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Ronald Archibeque

Ronald Archibeque New Member

I need help in locating problem. Power to transformer and turns on but shortly thereafter the Volt transformer trips cutting off power. Is it a loose wire? Faulty connection with wire? At a loss.

Ron

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Ronald,

I'd be happy to help troubleshoot!

From what you have described, it sounds like the transformer is properly receiving power from the GFCI outlet and is operating as expected when possibly detecting a short somewhere.

Just to double-check, do you by chance have a photocell control device hooked up to the transformer? Too much/too bright of ambient light can often cause photocells to improperly power a system ON/OFF.

If you don't have a photocell to troubleshoot, I'd recommend starting with a process of elimination - remove only (1) of the wire runs out of the transformer and try to turn the unit on again. If it trips again, you know the problem does not reside on that run - if it doesn't trip, then you have located the general area of the issue. If you were able to narrow it down to a single run like this, you could then try to do a quick inspection of the run for any visible damage to wire or fixtures then, resume the same process of elimination - simply unwiring (not completely uninstalling if possible) one fixture at a time as needed. If you ultimately narrowed it down to one particular fixture, it could be the wire connection.