LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Tape Light

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Robert Mason, Sep 13, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Evan: I found a 2019 reference in the Ask section to a RGB tape light that Volt apparently no longer offers. I have a 100 watt Slimline transformer which operates at 15 volts. There are a ton of 12 volt LED tape lights on the market and lots of internet references to connecting them to 12 volt transformers. There are also a lot of references to how connecting a 12 volt tape light to a 15 volt transformer will cause the light strips to burn brighter and burn out sooner, although sooner is never defined. What is your experience and recommendations (good or bad) about connecting a tape light to my Slimline?

Thanks. Bob

2. Robert Mason

Not that you give "bad" recommendations. You know what I mean. Bob

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

We definitely couldn't say for certain whether or not the 15V output would affect the longevity of your 12V strips over time. I'd say, if an optimal operating range is not already provided for voltage, try double-checking with the manufacturer of the tape light to see what they say. "12V" is often a go-to keyword to signify something as low-voltage but, they could very well have a range of 10-15V or whereabouts.

But, as far as our transformer goes, our units have been/are used to power outdoor strip lights. With our units outputting AC, you would just want to make sure the tape lights are rated for that. Then, calculate your wattage per foot or however your manufacturer recommends for their product, and just keep in mind that we recommend no more than 8-10 fixtures or about 80W per individual run from the transformer.

4. Robert Mason

Evan, thanks for the quick response. I’m conscious of the need to stay below 8-10 lights per main line and less that 80 watts total for my transformer. I’m within both of those limits. I may be just getting a bit too creative. The soffit vents on my house are continuous sections of 2 inch wide by 8 feet long strips, perforated with about 100 holes per foot. I thought it would be cool to mount an LED strip to the inside of the soffit vent and allow the light to shine down on a wall trellis and some azalea bushes. By the time a bought the strip light and all of the necessary mounting and attachment hardware it would cost me more than a hardscape light. I think I’ll just go with an exterior mounted hardscape with good glare guarding. Thanks. Bob