LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Smart Lighting - TP-Link Kasa EP40 Smart Plug

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Rusty, May 25, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Rusty

Rusty New Member

2. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Rusty: I’m not a fan of outdoor plugs that are exposed to rain, sprinklers, herbicide and pesticide sprayers, mud wasps, etc. Since this particular Kasa smart plug needs to be plugged into a weather proof outdoor outlet box anyway, why not just use a standard wifi plug mounted inside the outlet box? That’s how I control my 300W transformer. A jumbo outlet box allows you to mount the smart plug and the transformer plug inside the box without having to replace the transformer power cable plug with a 90 degree one, thus voiding the transformer warranty.

As an aside, outdoor temperature swings may have an impact on the longevity of the smart plug. Mine lasted 2 years before I had to replace it, although, admittedly, a nearby lightning strike may have an an impact on that. The smart plug I use to control my outdoor fountain has been in service now for nearly 5 years. Bob

3. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look at the standard Wi-Fi plugs. I was thinking of the Kasa as I’ve had good luck with them - I think the one on our string lights has been outside for 4-5 years.