LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Newbie - how to wire landscape lights correctly

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Tom DePrenda, Feb 8, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Tom DePrenda

Tom DePrenda New Member

Want to upgrade my landscape lights in the spring... currently have box-store cheapie lights with quick connectors. Constantly fixing lights that go out, either it's the connector failing or the bulb. Saw Volt lights and think these will be the lights I will use to light my path in front yard and spots on the house. To correctly wire the lights, I have been seeing that the main low-voltage wire starts from the transformer and then goes to the first light, connects to that light with the Volt connectors and then a new length of wire goes from that light to the next light and so on and so forth. Is that correct? The method I am currently using (with issues described) is the main wire from the transformer goes the whole length of the run and each light connects with the quick connectors. There is no splicing from light to light. Want to do this once, correctly if I am going to invest. Thanks in advance.

2. TwilightHilights

TwilightHilights New Member

Hi Tom,

The connection methods are actually the same believe it or not. These are both parallel style connections. The difference is that with the pierce point connectors, you don't actually have to cut and re-splice in the continuation line. For LED lighting parallel connections are the preferred method and the method Volt will probably recommend should you call them. The downside to your system is that the pierce point connectors are not waterproof. This is where you get failures. When you buy from volt, check out these connectors. They will make things easy for you: https://www.voltlighting.com/nano-junction-direct-burial-connector-3-way-black-plastic/p/BDL-VAC-WC2-PBK-2

I swear by those connectors. You will simply run your main line out near all of the fixtures, leaving a little bit of slack at each. At each fixture you will cut the main line giving you three; two sided leads. You will take one of the two sides of each lead and strip the ends, then put them in one connector. You will do the same in the other connector with the opposing sides. You will then clamp the grease over the connections you have just made, making each waterproof. That will insure a high quality, long lasting system for years to come when you couple it with high quality light fixtures and bulbs.

Hope that helps!

3. Lumiscape

Lumiscape New Member

Yes, Tom and TwiHi, good advice, but I like the hub system, where you take the main wire to a location within 25' of the fixtures and wire them all into a central junction box, or hub - which Volt also sells. It makes moving the fixtures around very easy and has as few connection locations as possible. Maintenance is easy, also. Just my way of doing things. I have installed many projects and I like this the best. It costs a bit more in wire, but it's pretty negligible for the advantages.

4. CathyF

CathyF New Member

So you are splicing at each lamp. I had a landscaper and he put in Volt lighting but he used those blue screw connectors. I had to dig up one lamp and redo because it wouldn’t stay lit. I just added a spot at the end of the run using the junction style. But now I guess I have to dig up his wire and add more of those. Yes, I complained, no he didn’t come back.

Evan K likes this.