LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need advice - very new DIYer

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by IslandGuy, Sep 29, 2021.

Share This Page

1. IslandGuy

IslandGuy New Member

I am hoping to do this project myself, but need a good deal of advice.
    We are planning on using two integrated spots to light two large evergreens. The remaining fixtures will be path/area lights, along with a few smaller spots - all will be very low wattage - we don't want to end up with a crazy bright landscape - we just want some subtle light in the gardens and along the walkways.
    First, will the layout I have planned work? Can I run from transformer to a hub, and then continue on with that main line and add fixtures in a daisy chain? (That is Run Four, shown in green).

I am not sure what size transformer to use, or what gauge cable. I hve two long runs - 220 and 240 feet - are these too long? I am limited to where I can place the transformer, so I can't really shorten those runs.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Evan K likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Great sketch. A 300W transformer should suffice and give you a little room to grow. If you think you'll want to create zones (so you can time certain groups of lights to go on and off at different times) or you think you'll be adding a number of lights down the road, you may want to consider the 600W dual circuit transformer VOLT offers. You can use 16 (or 14) gauge wire for runs up to about 150. Longer than that and you'll want to go with a thicker 12 gauge wire. There is an excellent primer on wiring a landscaping lighting project here: https://www.voltlighting.com/learn/...75ePZ87mVbqBP_IWnrW02_cOZ-w2nXHhoCKYcQAvD_BwE

Evan K likes this.
  3. IslandGuy

IslandGuy New Member

Thanks for the advice - so you think 12 gauge wire would be sufficient for the long runs? Or should I go with 10GA?

Evan K likes this.
  4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

For those distances (200ft+), 10-gauge or 8-gauge would be the safer bet - especially if you have a few fixtures on each run to account for voltage wise.

Mesodude2 likes this.