LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need Advice Re Uplighting House w/ Small Facade

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mesodude, Jun 14, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Not sure why images aren't showing up. Re-attempting to send just one image. The green graphics indicate where I'm pretty sure I'll be placing lights and yellowo graphics indicate where I'm unsure. I think, though, you pretty much answered my question, which was another way of asking: How does one light a facade when when most of the facade is filled with windows. In any event, I really like the subtle effect when homes are just grazed with lighting (such that they almost appear to glow) vs being lit up like commercial buildings so it seems we're on the same wavelength. If you have suggestions for specific fixtures, that'd be great. I'm pretty sure I won't be using LEDs brighter than 7W. Thanks again.

original message: I want to uplight the facade of my colonial and can't decide whether to go with two lights or four. Much of what I've heard and read advises against fixtures in front of windows but I'm wondering to what extent this is a hard and fast rule. For instance, if the lights aren't super bright or they're not shining in rooms where people sleep, is this a situation where I could ignore the rule? I'm tempted to just go with two lights on the main facade but wondered what others here thought. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey!

For some reason, I am unable to see your attachments; the files may have been too large to post!

Placing fixtures directly in front of windows is generally not recommended to avoid glare and light intrusion into a home. This would mainly be important for most first story windows and any bedroom windows in general. But, many homeowners do indeed light the windows on the dormers of their roofs and some other windows may be unavoidable to what the homeowner's actual goal is. My main recommendation if unavoidable would be to look for a more subtle light output and also to consider using a lens if needed to further soften/diffuse a fixture's the output. Perhaps with a photo, I could make a more exact fixture recommendation as well.

3. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

I tried editing and reposting, Evan. Will attach here as well.Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Attached Files:

4. Evan K

It's my pleasure!

Hmm..after looking at the design I'm not entirely sure those middle uplights would really be necessary. Ultimately, spotlights should be selectively applied to highlight features and open spaces in a somewhat geometrical pattern. While it is important to maintain the 'geometric' balance, you don't want to do this at the cost of a subtlely beautiful design. A way to maintain the balance you could consider would be to surface mount (2) spotlights on the roofline above the columns; they would 'continue' the light while highlighting the center window and allowing the others to stand out as their own unique features of this classic house. I attached a photo to illustrate what this second-story mounting looks like. I also recommended (2) areas for path lights that would provide some subtle area illumination for your steps/entryway. For the majority of your uplights, I would recommend All-Stars. A great budget-friendly alternative would be a Fat Boy.

Attached Files:

5. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

Thanks so much for all the great feedback, Evan. I especially like the idea of lighting the area above the porch and I'd already planned to stagger a few path lights along the walkway. Thanks again!

6. Evan K

Awesome! Glad to be of help. Be sure to let us know how everything turns out and share some photos in our gallery online!

7. Mesodude

Mesodude Member

You bet, Evan!