LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Low voltage switch?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by georgetv, Apr 20, 2021.

Share This Page

1. georgetv

georgetv New Member

I want to use an on/off switch for isolating one light on one of my circuit runs. Any recommendations?

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I recommend that you contact a licensed electrician. In theory what you want to do would be possible with a split receptacle outlet where one receptacle was controlled by a light switch and the other was always on. But when a GFCI outlet is involved, things can get a bit more complicated. And obviously you'd need a second transformer.

3. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

George: There are plenty of IP65 switches available, some rated up to 277 volts. Just search "waterproof inline cord switch". Conceptually this isn't that much different than installing an inline switch on a lamp cord. I would concur with Meso, however, and would prefer a second transformer for the light in question. A cheap, low wattage one would do as you are only switching a single lamp. This has the added advantage that, when operated through a smart plug, you could turn it on and off with a smartphone app from anywhere. Bob

Mesodude2 and Evan K like this.