LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Loop or Hub Wire Plan

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Bill Wilson, Jul 27, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Bill Wilson

Bill Wilson New Member

I will be installing 10 Max Spread pathway lights with a 3 watt LED bulb each. I am planning on using a maximum of 300ft of 12 gauge direct burial wire with a 300 watt transformer at 15 volts. I will be using a loop wiring plan.

Question: Will I have too much line loss for a loop type wire plan or should I just go with a Hub layout?

Thanks for any guidance here.

BW

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Some good primers on wiring plan layout are linked here, Bill. I'm personally biased in favor of the hub method. I just like the convenience of being able to troubleshoot issues (which, granted, doesn't happen a lot) with a hub that sits above ground. But given the additional cost of having individual wires going that distance, I can definitely see why you would be closely looking at the daisy chain method. https://www.voltlighting.com/learn/create-a-landscape-lighting-plan
    https://www.voltlighting.com/learn/...EhNwAJ9RoVvoltOnlJoBQ41SeurjRsLAaArfmEALw_wcB

3. Bill Wilson

Bill Wilson New Member

Thanks for the links. Probably safest to proceed with a multi Hub type layout using a 12 gauge feeder wire. I will be checking voltage along the way.

Do you have any experience with the Volt Macro Pro Junction Box? Seems like an easy method to make quick Hub connections.

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I have multiple pro junction hubs—both the round pod type and the newer and more compact rectangular ones. They’re convenient and, IMO, idiot proof.

5. Bill Wilson

Bill Wilson New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

May the wiring begin...

Mesodude2 likes this.