LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Looking for Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Erich, Jun 3, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Erich

Erich New Member

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for exterior lighting. See attached pictures. I am leaning toward using All-Star Spotlights and 100-watt slim transformer with about 8 fixtures total. I would like to light the tall peak in front of the house, possibly the two brick columns, and some of the brick around the house.

Looking for a recommendation on the placement of light fixtures, wattage, and beam spread for each. I know for the tall peak I will likely need a 5W bulb, but what beam spread should I choose? Also, I want to avoid washing out the stone, so in some areas, I am wondering if I should opt for 3W bulbs. Maybe even 2200K color temp as opposed to the 2700K to avoid washing out the brick?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Erich,

I'd be happy to make some recommendations! I took the liberty of including some photos to illustrate my recommendations. For the narrow columns, I would recommend using an MR16 bulb with a 15-degree beam spread. For the corners of the house and any spaces between the windows, I would recommend 38-degree beam spreads. For illuminating that peak, I would recommend a 60-degree beam spread in the MR16 bulb.

By washing, are you referring to overkill? Essentially, not being able to see the raw texture of the bricks? If subtle, accent light is your overall goal for the layout then I would certainly recommend lower wattages for the bulk of your lights. The color temperature won't affect the intensity of the light; you could have an extremely warm (2200k) light output and the light is still overkill for a certain application (too many lumens). 2700k is generally the most preferred for residential lighting (a soft, slightly warm white). It does well to highlight features similar to natural sunlight without seeming too orange (warm) or blue (cool).

Attached Files: