LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by ATPope, Oct 29, 2018.

Share This Page

1. ATPope

ATPope New Member

Hello,

I’d like to hear your recommendations for using spots to light up the front of my house. It seems I have 5 zones, labeled on the pictures. Is it acceptable to put the spots directly under the windows? If not, what kind of placement would you recommend, and which specific spotlights? Also, what recommendation do you have for the front of the garage?

front of house1.jpeg front of house2.jpeg Thanks for your help!

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello,

Generally, we advise against placing any uplighting fixtures directly under windows. This is recommended to avoid unwanted light trespass into the residence during the nighttime and to prevent glare from reflecting off of windows. For fixtures placed near or between windows, we recommend using bulbs or optics that have narrow beam spreads.

Although placement is relative to your design goals, some common practices are to illuminate corners and doorways, illuminate spaces between windows, doorways, garages, etc., highlight unique architectural features of the house, and to wall-wash large portions of exterior walls. Overall, the goal is generally to achieve somewhat of a geometrical design.

For the fixtures placed in the garden, you should consider using stake-mounted spotlights for a sturdy, directional light. As far as specific styles go, we offer both LED integrated and lamp-ready (accepts a bulb) fixtures; both can accomplish your uplighting goals for the house. One of our most popular lamp-ready spotlights is the All-Star™; it is simple to install, highly durable, and backed by a lifetime warranty. For integrated fixtures, I would recommend browsing through our line of G4 Infinitis™.

For applications in pavers or concrete, it is recommended to use either an in-grade light or a well-light. Well-lights offer open housings which allow rainwater to drain to the soil below while the in-grade lights which we offer are fully-submersible and have solid brass canisters. For these lights, we also offer both integrated and lamp-ready styles. You can find the entire selection here: In-Ground Lights

If this is your first DIY landscape lighting project, I would highly recommend browsing through our online Learning Center. Here, you will find a collection of helpful information for beginners!